Paph. supardii X Paph. bellatulum - a new hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here another picture of this cross.

Paph-9.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Breeders are always on search for new crosses and sometimes it seems to me they are crossing what's in flower in their nursery at the moment. In my opinion the aim to improve characteristics of the parents isn't always that important. The most important thing seems to be a spectacular look and the more extreme the parents are the better. Sometimes the result isn't worth the efforts - like in this case.
I wouldn't have expected are good result from this cross - the narrow and twisted petals of P.supardii and the wide petals of P. bellatulum - the result never could be an improvement.
But I've got to admit I'm not so in hybrids (except some really good ones) - in my eyes most of the species are beautiful enough.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

I'd guess this cross was meant to be a learning experience from the start. Not many have ventured into breeding Brachys with supardii before, and the outcome of such a cross surely gives ideas about the breeding behaviour of supardii.
I do like the colours in this flower, though.

Best wishes, Carsten

I agree in parts with Guru and also Carsten.
I think it is necessary to try these crosses to see the results. When we don't do it then the hybridizing based only on specultions.
It is also necessary to show these results. Only in this way we will get a good standard for the decision if a cross i a success or not.

But it is always curious with hybrids like this. Some persons like it and some others don't like it.
It is typical for the similar cross between sanderianum and bellatulum. Some persons would like to buy it (near impossible to get)others would never have this idea.

Best greetings

Olaf

Please excuse my bad english, I could explain my thoughts better in german.

I agree that it is important to see the results of crosses that have not been performed yet. Many of them are not commercial successes, but they give valuable clues to the breeding traits that each species presents. In my experience with supardii, it seems to have limited value as a parent, and it isn't the most exciting species on it's own merit. Also, the cross might be a bit different depending on the quality of the parents and which plant is the pod parent.

Latest posts

Back