Paph sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
This one was brought back from the brink of death. Purchased in 1990 it did great until 2002 (mostly 3 flowers per year) then suddenly collapsed. All the leaves fell off except one small little growth. It spent 6 months in a plastic bag of sphagnum until a new root formed. I nursed it along like a seedling...finally after 5 years it is back to blooming size! Whew!

Paphsukhakulii2.jpg

The good news - it's a good bloomer
the bad news - it's too good of a bloomer!

I wish I could have saved my spicerianum. It bloomed the last two years beautifully and then last winter it started going downhill. I repotted and I called Oakhill (where I got it from) and asked for any advice but to no avail. It finally passed on last month. I should have maybe gone to sphag/bag. I treated with Physan for any fungus and/or bacterial rot, but it just didn't save it. They said that they have problems in their grow houses sometimes with spiceriaum. Kudos to you for your save of a beautiful sukhakulii.

...They said that they have problems in their grow houses sometimes with spiceriaum....

funny. i always felt a little bad because i've always had a bit of trouble growing spicerianum. never bloomed it... now i feel a little better about myself! cool...

funny. i always felt a little bad because i've always had a bit of trouble growing spicerianum. never bloomed it... now i feel a little better about myself! cool...

My first few spicerianum and sukhakulii did poorly to until I cut light way back and put them in the breeze of a humidifier. The suks like it warmer than spicerianum, but both are humidity hogs.

Good save, inspirational in fact. I lost a Phrag Prissy recently because [IMO] I didn't have any Dragon's Blood left to treat it with, I'm ordering more soon as I can't afford to lose more of my babies. :(

Back