paph. sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwester

Reaction score
This plant was purchased from Maj Orchids back in 1981. It was given to me by an older guy I help out with his greenhouse every so often.
DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

paphjoint said:
Nice one - I find sukhakuliis hard to grow

They aren't automatic for me either Uri. Which is weird since there reputation is to be so easy. From spreading them out around the green house I have found the ones that do best are in the lowest light (1000 fc) with consistent warm and very humid air. I've been switching them to a more acidic substrate, and now I'm trying a mix with sand (which has been noted in their native soil according to Cash's book).

Just today I was wondering if many barbata (found in more forest/mulchy conditions than other paph species) may actually need a root warmer during the winter. Decomposing mulch generates a good amount of heat even during the winter.

What do you think?

Nice one, Blake! :clap:

I,also have some difficulty growing sukhakulii. I've thought that maybe I let them dry out too much. My Brachy's and Parvi's are happy, but sukhakulii suffers. I'm trying deeper pots, now and hopefully should have an idea if this works in a year or so.

This one seems to like being ignored for me. CHC mix watered whenever.

Hi Rick

Well - 8 months ago I bougth a couple of sukhakuliis from a german vendor - at that time they were healthy and in good growth - now six months later - they're just standing there doing nothing -
I've never been able to grow sukhakulii's properly -
They might thrive in a more acidic substrate but actually I don't have any direct clues as how to grow them.

And as you say most people consider them as easy growers

Rick said:
They aren't automatic for me either Uri. Which is weird since there reputation is to be so easy. From spreading them out around the green house I have found the ones that do best are in the lowest light (1000 fc) with consistent warm and very humid air. I've been switching them to a more acidic substrate, and now I'm trying a mix with sand (which has been noted in their native soil according to Cash's book).

Just today I was wondering if many barbata (found in more forest/mulchy conditions than other paph species) may actually need a root warmer during the winter. Decomposing mulch generates a good amount of heat even during the winter.

What do you think?

Back