Paph. sukhakulii gone wrong

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!
I've had other weird things happen, but not that
Could have been just a flub or possibly some damage at a crucial time
Have you bloomed it before? Was it normal then?

Yes,it has bloomed before and had a great flower so it's a mystery why this has happened. I don't recall anything happening to the plant at any point but it could have been something small that had bigger consequences. I thought it's wires had got crossed somewhere!

What is it they say? God moves in mysterious ways - for an agnostic, I think, this translates to: so does nature!

Good for you, that it wasn't the first flowering, though, as that would have left you in uncertainity, whether it was a genetic fault, all the way to the next blooming.

Maybe it suffered by the last half years social distancing - or maybe it's an act of defiant solidarity with those of us, who mourn RBG, and especially the fact, that she lost the battle against cancer this side of the current presidency!

No, seriously, sometimes it's possible to find a cultural explanation for these abnormalities; sometimes it's my feeling, that chance is the only explanation, I can come up with!

Has anyone had a similar odd outcome with a Paph. and what causes it? View attachment 22334View attachment 22335
The fact that it previously flowered normally is interesting. I know that genetic variation occurs sometimes from flower to flower on one raceme or panicle. Spotting patterns, in particular, can vary a lot from bloom to bloom and some flowers can be either normal or abnormal on the same stalk. In your interesting anomaly the pattern for the petals and dorsal sepal got switched around. It would probably be explainable as a random mutation resulting in a peloric flower which may or may not be repeated. Some species and hybrids are more unstable than others but normally, P. sukhakulii is very stable. You have a plant with a rare tendency to mutant genes as expressed in the flower. I would save copies of your photos and compare them year to year just to see how great this tendency to mutate is and to record the variations: of some scientific interest!

Super cool!!!
I guess littefrogs explanation is convincing...

As it is a temporary anomaly of the flower, what will be the code in the ovary? Will it have a permanent effect in offsprings?

This has occurred to some of my flowers. It started when I used hormonal supplements with auxins like kelp. Do you use these?

Sometimes chemicals can affect flowers during bud formation. Did you use any?

No, I haven't used anything like that and there has been nothing chemically around the plant. I think I will just have to wait and see what happens next time, whether it was a one off or something the plant is prone to.
Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Nice one HB73! Nice one! We seen movies like the latest Lion King movie ------ where they can digitally generate anything from plants to animals etc --- all very realistically. You really had us on this one! Nice! Or very nice glue work!

Latest posts

Back