Paph. (Sukhakul Dragon x Black Lace)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Even though this isn't a "Bulldog Paph", I would still call it a "Complex Paph", as it has species in it's background from 4 different Paph. sections! The first is Brachy (Black Lace = Siera Lace x Rolfei) so it has bellatulum, niveum and godefroyae in it's background. The second is Multifloral. Paph. rothschildianum from the Rolfei background, and philippinense from the Sukhakul Dragon background as Sukhakul Dragon = sukhakulii x Red Dragon, and Red Dragon is philipppinense x Gloriosum. Third section are some species from the Barbatum group in it's background (sukhakulii, barbatum and lawrenceanum) and finally a member of the section Pahiphiopedilum: Paph. vilosum (as Paph vilosum is in the background of Paph. Gloriosum).

So this shows, that not all "Complex Paph's" are Bulldog types! Also interesting, that even though it has so many species in it's background, the two species that are most dominant in this hybrid are Paph. sukhakulii and Paph. rothschildianum!

Robert

I must say, that I kind of like it. Plus, I see another bud which is also nice. Is this the first one to bloom and if not, what do the others look like?

Yes, first one to bloom, unfortunately with these kind of crosses, you don't get much germination, and I think this is the only one that survived from the batch to become a blooming sized plant...

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff but villosum isn't part of Gloriosum the last time I looked it up

You are correct, and in-correct!

Apparently there are more than one Paph. Gloriosum! There are actually 3:

Paph. Gloriosum (1893) = Paph. Harrisianum x larwrenceanum, and Paph. Harrisianum = vilosum x barbatum. This is the Paph. Gloriosum that I thought was the parent of Paph. Red Dragon, so that is how I came up with vilosum being in it's background.

The correct Gloriosum is Paph. Gloriosum (1916) = Paph. callosum x Holdenii. Paph. Holdenii = callosum x Maudiae, which means Glorisoum has callosum and lawrenceanum in it's background. This Gloriosum is the parent of Paph. Red Dragon, so you are correct there is no villosum in it's background.

The third Glorisoum is Gloriosum (1894) = insigne x Io

That is one of the problems of having multiple hybrids having the same name :)

Robert

Latest posts

Back