Paph stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

I'm not sure whether this dorsal is going to open up any more, and I'm pretty sure that the petals are still getting longer. If I remember, I'll post a couple more photos in a few days with a little more ambient light :)

Anyway, this is a true stonei species, but as you can see, the dorsal sepal doesn't have any stripes :) It has a spot, and thats about it. I like it, but I'd like some nice stripes too... maybe on the next one. I have a few more that are in spike, so I'll be posting photos of those soon too.

So, here it is:

paph-stonei-1.jpg

Hope you like it! I tried to take some close-ups too, but my camera wouldn't focus on the right plane :mad: Maybe next time...

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Ahh. Stonei. I love this species. :clap: Matt is this ('Red Shoes' x 'Druid's Mantis') ?

Please do post more if you can. Thanks for the picture. :)

Marco,

This is an un-named plant that I imported this spring. Most of the USA bred stonei that I've seen have wider petals and more stripes. A huge part of my interest in orchids is scientific (or at least naturalistic). I've always been interested in the evolution, breeding strategies, etc... of orchids, and I think that for that reason, I really like under-bred plants, even if they don't always live up to judges' standards. (As I was speaking to Hadley Cash last winter, he DID say that his Paph stonei 'Marriot quintescense' is the nicest that he's ever seen, and it was imported and possibly wild collected. I bought a flask of its selfing for an outrageous price).

Anyway, my seedlings are still years from blooming, I'm afraid :)

- Matt Gore

OK, I might as well post a few more of this one. These have more ambient light, so there isn't so much detail lost in the shadows....

paph-stonei-1a.jpg

and from another angle....

paph-stonei-1b.jpg

and finally, a close up of the fuzz.....

paph-stonei-1c.jpg

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Honetly, I love that lone dot swimming in a sea of white on the dorsal. It's very distinctive. Reminds me of Cindy Crawford. :poke:

Sweet close-up on the last one.

Thanks for the pictures. :)

Marco - always thinking of the ladies...;)

Matt, that's really a nice example if you ask me. I love the lack of striping on the dorsal. Thanks for the interesting history too.

Now, if only my 3 would bloom. Oh right, I have the non-growing stoneis. :rolleyes:

Love the close up shots that people have been taking lately, by the way. Please keep them coming!

I'd like to see stripes too, but overall the colors are very nice.

How many growths, and what's the leaf span of this plant?

Rick,

This is a two growth division... both are mature growths, roughly the same size, which is 28" natural spread. If I were to spread the leaves a bit, it would be closer to 32 inches. Its not exactly dainty, but the leaves are narrow compared to some of the other stonei that I have.

- Matt

Marco,

The term is usually applied to the petals of a bloom... but I think I can use it for the leaves too :) Basically, it means that you don't move the leaves at all to measure them. In my case, if the leaves were spread out horizontally, they would measure 32 inches or so, but the way that they arch over and droop, they are only 28 inches across in their natural position.

I don't know if that makes it any more clear :)

- Matt

Matthew,

Great form of this species... like the dots better than the stripes!

The detail of the column is very valuable, thank you for that picture... can compare with the P. stonei hybrids that look almost alike.

-PM

I can remember paging through orchid books my parents bought me when I was little and picking out stonei as a favorite. It's always great to see. Thanks, Matt.

Latest posts

Back