Paph stonei x gigantifolium just named Memoria Joe Levy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid-fever

Reaction score
This was awarded yesterday both an AM & an AD. The species gigantifolium has import issues but the awards were granted so we will wait and see... A friends plant... Breathtaking. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370819624.344796.jpg
qa6ybete.jpg

That is a very special color scheme for a multi! The giganti apparently didn't come from Pipping rock I take it?

I can see stonei in the dorsal. Very nice.

No disrespect, but an AM with 3 flowers when both species can have substantially more seems........unusual.

i dont believe flower count is judged specifically for points with paphs and the flower spacing and arrangement makes up for larger flower count

looks like an AM to me..congratulations

Amazing, a real eye catcher. I agree with the flower arrangement, terrific!
I possibly had lowered the score for the low flower count, but not the award.

Very nice plant and I am glad it got an award. Even though I don't think it will stick. I love gigantifolium and its crosses. It shows how much gigantifolium can add to hybrids. I really hope that someone gets all this gigantifolium business straightened out so we can see more hybrids. It could be a whole new line of breeding,

:drool::drool: :clap::clap:
Do you know what the clonal name is? I'd use something in reference to the petals!
I don't think hybridizers will hestitate in using gig, hasn't stopped the purchases of Chia Hua Dancer regardless on award eligibility, I'd purchase one!

When I referred to the species and import issues I was speaking generally about the confusion embroiling the species gigantifolium.

The clonal name given was 'Chassus' which is the exhibitor's standard clonal name.

I know it had only 3 flowers but they were spectacular.

Very nice. (although I miss the peyot-like curl :eek:) What center gave the award. Since it's probably the first time awarded it is a good award.

Very nice plant and I am glad it got an award. Even though I don't think it will stick. I love gigantifolium and its crosses. It shows how much gigantifolium can add to hybrids. I really hope that someone gets all this gigantifolium business straightened out so we can see more hybrids. It could be a whole new line of breeding,

legal breeding of stonei and gigantifolium exists and is out there..Sam from Orchid INN has done this breeding..and many of the seedlings are BS

Very nice. (although I miss the peyot-like curl :eek:) What center gave the award. Since it's probably the first time awarded it is a good award.

If it is 'Chasus', that would be Atlanta. Charles and Susan travel there as they are in the judging program. Jo Levy was such a nice lady. I had the privilege of speaking with her several times and I am learning so much from Charles and Susan.

The shape of gigantifolium is petals is fantastic. The thought that the Govt thinks there is a reason to restrict the distribution of them is not so much fantastic. :(

I have three plants of this hybrid that are BS. I also have roth x, Wossner Stonesup x, kolopakingii x, adductum x and sanderianum x, but none of them are legal or can be shown or judged. Maybe you could get away with having them in a show. When Sam made the hybrids they were considered "legal" but after the species permit was revoked they are not legal the USFW said they would not persue the hybrids.
And the species has been imported legally a few times in the past. It still is on one vendors CITES permit. But when I ask around no one wants to import it or breed with it because it is to risky. If someone imported legally once and there permit was renewed than it can be done again.

legal breeding of stonei and gigantifolium exists..Sam from Orchid INN has done this breeding..and many of the seedlings are BS

The shape of gigantifolium is petals is fantastic. The thought that the Govt thinks there is a reason to restrict the distribution of them is not so much fantastic. :(

I agree Eric. I like all hybrid by gigantifolium!

Didn't Sam get in trouble a few years back, when his legal gig's were suddenly declared illegal? But for an illegal parent, there seems to be a pretty open saturation of the marketplace with Chiu Hua Dancers.....

I have a feeling I recently saw this plant in MS! If so, it was very nice in person too.

Back