Paph. Startler 'Glace' AM/AOS, AM/RHS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about this one, because it's something I wanted for a long time and I finally got it. Yay!! Startler is Redstart x Masked Light, and was registered by Ratcliffe in 1962. It was awarded in the US before being awarded in England, winning an 82 pt AM/AOS in 1968 for Kensington Orchids, then in 1969 85 and 86 pt AMs/AOS for Kensington Orchids, where I got my very first paph ever. In 1970 it won an AM/RHS, which was a bumper crop year for Ratcliffe paphs, including Chianti 'Chilton', a fine green, and Honey Plume 'Halo' FCC/RHS, a spectacular yellow, which went on to win the George Moore Medal in 1970.

Startler 'Glace' is remarkably similar to Orchilla 'Chilton', and has one the same parents, Redstart 'Chilton' (not Redstart 'Exbury' FCC/RHS, which is sterile). There are, however, several nice clones of Startler, including 'Sanfoin' and 'Lacquer', which were awarded in the US but not in England. I'm not sure if these exist anymore - they are not in the collection of Ratcliffe's, and I don't know if they were otherwise preserved in the US, but I've never seen them.

Unfortunately, like Orchilla, although hopes remain high for it as a parent, Startler has been mostly a bust. There are a few awarded first generation progeny, but nothing beyond that - another breeding dead end. I hope to have them both in flower at the same time (maybe next year) so I can share a comparison shot...

Attachments

• startler_glace.jpg
    startler_glace.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 79
Thats a nice Startler flower Tim. Its one of the great red Paphs. As you say, not one of the best breeders. The other Startlers you noted were available here in OZ a few years ago and I believe are still in a few ollections but rarely for sale. No doubt plants are here but finding them is the hard part.

Although I'd imagine alot of people would say Amanda 'Joyance' is one of the better red breeders, I think I'd be inclined to go with Paeony 'Regency', which, when paired up with almost anything reddish makes some really outstanding progeny. Maybe Vallarrow 'Red Challenge', Valwin 'Xmas Robe', or any of the Keyeshills would also make the list, as would Sandra Mary, which itself is not a great red, but serves to intensify color. I really have high hopes for New Direction 'Horizon', but it's got a Maudiae thing as a grandparent, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it as a breeder. Mind you these are all reds - no spots at all. If you add spots in there, it's a new list...

Honestly, no other paphs besides Orchilla and Startler have acheived this depth of color. Something to hunt for...

Anyone else have good reds to add?

Unfortunately, like Orchilla, although hopes remain high for it as a parent, Startler has been mostly a bust. There are a few awarded first generation progeny, but nothing beyond that - another breeding dead end. I hope to have them both in flower at the same time (maybe next year) so I can share a comparison shot...

Tim, I just happened to have both Orchilla 'Chilton' FCC/AOS and Startler 'Glace' AM/AOS in bloom, so I took the picture and decided to bump this thread. I think the pouch is off on this blooming of Orchilla (on the right).

PaphStartlerOrchillaComparison.jpg

Those are good-looking Paphs, Ross. I think they are the best of the reds -- at least the ones I've seen. I had an Orchilla 'Chilton' x delenatii, but it went to the great compost pile in the sky. I would have really liked to have seen it's flower.

Hard to beleive they're not siblings...Lab error?

Thanks Ross for beating me to it...goes to show you that things are a lot later where it snows; my Orchillas bloom in January-February.

Latest posts

Back