Paph. St. Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
phil x roth
There are better ones out there but I'm very pleased with it, especially since it's a window plant. This is the second time it has bloomed this year. The petals look a lot longer in person.
10911753626_84fb77e68d_z.jpg
10911859484_aeec308dc7_z.jpg

It is still better than most. Love the stripey wide dorsal. If the petals are longer than they look in the 2nd photo than they must be gigantic. How long are they? Just wonderful overall.

Fantastic. How are you growing it? Which windowsill, what medium, watering, fertilizer etc..? I'm kinda stuck growing on windowsills for a bit so I'm curious to know the secret to your success.

Thanks

Impressive dorsals, huge. I don't recall seeing a St. S. with such a large flag.

Last edited:
If the petals are longer than they look in the 2nd photo than they must be gigantic. How long are they?
Oh, I guess the second photo does do a good job displaying their lengths. The one petal I measured was a little over 20cm (8" in freedom units).

Fantastic. How are you growing it? Which windowsill, what medium, watering, fertilizer etc..?
I got this plant when it was already fairly large, but unbloomed so it still may go downhill sometime in the future. It gets very strong filtered southern exposure. Nothing special with the medium or watering. It does go outside in the summer (as long as the nights are above 55F, the average summer night here goes down to 60F). My humidity sucks, though when it's outside and the fog rolls in the humidity gets to 100%. Only things that are really unique are the drastic daily changes in temperature during most of the year, and I'm using Klite. For me Klite doesn't make anything grow faster, but the quality of growth is better and now only my ludisia gets rot.

decent. are the parents' clonal names listed on the tag?
Sorry there aren't.

Yes, plant looks healthy. Where did you buy it from?
I'm fairly sure the plant is from Golden Gate Orchids. I saw some of their St. Swithins a couple months ago and I think the only ones they might have left are roth x phil, the reverse of my cross. They had a yellow lip and the petals' stances were closer to a roth's. They were very nice but the flowers were too pale for my taste and I don't like buying previously bloomed/blooming plants.

Back