Paph. Spiderman 'Shippo' HCC/OSSEA

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AquaGem

76 points HCC/OSSEA... how many points would u give it? :evil::evil:

51.jpg

They must see a lot of anitum hybrids in that region. Love to have a divison some day. This is the same plant you have in another thread isn't it?

I would probably give it in the low 80's region. It does have a nice, even tone throughout the dorsal and petals. I also like the symmetry. Very nice plant.

Yes, this is the same plant I posted on the other thread. When I send it for judging yesterday, it has 2 flowers completely opened and a 3rd half open.
@SlipperKing: Unfortunately, as much as many people would like to think that Judges here have seen many anitum, sadly, there are less than a handful of them who have any experiences growing or judging Paphs and Phrags. Unlike the AOS, they are not required to travel to shows outside of their region as part of their training. The judging sessions are closed to the public so no one except all the judges knows what was said about the plants. As far as I know, there are no references during the session to compare previous awards and measurements etc. One good example was that on 2 occasions, my plants were rejected from being judged due to their lack of knowledge. Last year, I brought a Paph. coccineum to be judged, and I was told by one of the judge, also a taxanomist and a published author, Peter O'Byrne, that he has no idea about Paph. coccineum. I would have accepted his excuse if that was a recently discovered plant, but that plant has been around for over 10 years which makes his excuse quite.... (speechless). Yesterday, I also brought in a Masd. Redshine to be judge and that plant was also being rejected. Their explanation was, they have not been exposed to this Genera and are not confident enough to judge plants from these genera. I wonder what will happen during the upcoming WOC.... Any thoughts?

nice one. dont be to discouraged with the score. most all multi's these days should have 4 flowers to be in the AM range. even though its 50% anitum, it could still do 4 easily. seems like the norm has gone up that extra notch in recent years. color is obviously excellent, as is the stance of the petals. its a little long. you probly just got nocked for only 3 flowers and the windows at the base of the dorsal

nice one. dont be to discouraged with the score. most all multi's these days should have 4 flowers to be in the AM range. even though its 50% anitum, it could still do 4 easily. seems like the norm has gone up that extra notch in recent years. color is obviously excellent, as is the stance of the petals. its a little long. you probly just got nocked for only 3 flowers and the windows at the base of the dorsal

Pete, only if it was the case.. but believe me it wasn't. hahaha...... :evil::evil:

As far as I know, there are no references during the session to compare previous awards and measurements etc. I also brought in a Masd. Redshine to be judge and that plant was also being rejected. Their explanation was, they have not been exposed to this Genera and are not confident enough to judge plants from these genera. I wonder what will happen during the upcoming WOC.... Any thoughts?
How do they judge it based on 'history' of other awarded plant with no reference? At the WOC, wont they be using AOS criteria and AQ+ program? BTW, I recently found out that that's not enough and you must have good internet access to look up other resources!

Why would awards given at the WOC use AOS history as a guide? There are many different orchid award systems around the world - what makes the AOS better? I thought that the WOC was it's own system, taking bits and pieces from judging systems from around the world - at least, that would make sense.

Seems a shame to have a plant rejected simply because the judges don't know anything about it. Perhaps they should study first? I guess it's better than judging it anyway and giving it an undeserved award.

Why would awards given at the WOC use AOS history as a guide? There are many different orchid award systems around the world - what makes the AOS better? I thought that the WOC was it's own system, taking bits and pieces from judging systems from around the world - at least, that would make sense.

Seems a shame to have a plant rejected simply because the judges don't know anything about it. Perhaps they should study first? I guess it's better than judging it anyway and giving it an undeserved award.

I did mention about the learning curves and researching about a plant using the internet but one of the excuse was that learning how to judge Masd. was not their priority since it will not be something the judges here will get to see very often and the most people here don't grow them...:mad::mad::mad:

Latest posts

Back