paph spicerianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
paph spicerianum (the real spice-no hybrids here!)

I have to give this plant credit - the mealybugs attack this plant and it keeps on going and flowering! I recently used both some imidacloprid-based spray (one that's labeled for houseplant use) and the neem oil to smother them. Also about the same time I gave it some epsom salts, and it's responded by putting out two flower buds! (there's another low bud on another growth) This plant has had larger flowers and spikes, but when the whole plant was a lot larger. I'll keep spraying it with neem, here and do a repotting. Maybe use some hydrogen peroxide as that did a pretty good job on some plants a while back.
Anyway, this plant is from Rice's Orchids and has always had nice flowers. I'm showing it in these pics with it's cousin phrag incan treasure as a backdrop (I was too lazy to move the big plant before taking these pics - don't worry, the two plants aren't touching (jumping bugs))

pspicerianum1209a.JPG

whole plant view - note new bud to the right of mature spike

pspicerianum1209b.JPG

pspicerianum1209c.JPG

pspicerianum1209d.JPG

I like the raspberry tint that this flower has! (and the previous flowers)

eric m., I remember your mentioning that you don't seem to have good luck with both spicerianum and delenatii? (or maybe just delenatii) I've read in culture sheets that both like to have somewhat airy media though moist. both my delenatii and spicerianum are in fairly airy media and can get somewhat dry between waterings. even though the delenatii is in chc's, I don't water very often and there is plenty of time between waterings and the media is only lightly tucked around the roots. besides the mealies on the spice, both plants seem to thrive despite my advanced beginner status with slippers. they aren't in a greenhouse setting so never get really warm, so probably don't get a lot of moisture stress (just a thought) so that the light media may be a key

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on culture. Mine has been struggling for a year now. Its old enough to bloom, but its not even close. I've been frustrated with this one.

Very nice! One of my favorite species.

On the delenatii, it is one of the few paphs that benefits from adding sphagnum to the bark mix.

Yep Charles it looks like a good species to me too. I have a few in bud and close to opening. I'll be surprised if they are clean,species.

Amazing work Charles :clap:

Mine has some yellow leaves too! I recently got some epson salts and gave it the first dose!!! I have prepaired an insecticide so that I keep back whatever insects there are if there are!!! I do not know if the leaves are yellowing because of pest problem or deficiency in some nutrients..time will tell!!! The roots are not so good either... :(:(:( I am trying not to overwater it!

Latest posts

Back