Paph. Snow Owl

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Paph. Snow Owl is a new white complex hybrid that I created. It is a cross between Paph. Mystic Snow (=Freckles x Via Victoria) and Paph. Stone Lovely (So it is a white complex that does not have Skip Bartlett in it's background). The Paph. Mystic Snow parent did not have the best shape, but what I liked about it, is that it hardly had any red pigments (just a few hardly noticeable red spots), so I was hoping the Stone Lovely parent would improve the size and shape, but that the Mystic Snow parent would add "white" flowers to the progeny with very minimal red spots, and hopefully some would have no spots at all.

These were the parents:

Paph. Mystic Snow 'Pure White':
PaphMysticSnowPureWhite1102006.jpg

Paph. Stone Lovely:
PaphStoneLovelySilverJade-close-121.jpg

The first seedling bloomed last year, and indeed was white, but it did have a few small red spots towards the center:

PaphMysticSnowxStoneLovely129200-1.jpg

Interestingly about 50% of the seedlings ended up having some red spots, while 50% did not have any red spots. Here are two of the latests seedlings that bloomed that did not have any red spots, so that were pure white:

PaphSnowOwl22222010.jpg

and finally my favorite one:

PaphSnowOwlPureSnow2222010.jpg

Robert

There appears to be some spotting on the white parent in the photo. All though very little. Not that this is an issue.

I'm surprised RHS allowed both Snow Owl and Snowy Owl to be registered...

The second from the bottom would be perfect if the pouch were a little bit bigger just to balance out the overall form. I love the colors in that one.

Walking along the bench a week ago at OL, the second from the bottom bloom really caught my eye! Heavy substance and I really liked the shape. The green/yellow is pretty pale in natural light. I almost bought it, except that I have two of this cross already, waiting to bloom! They are kind of slow growers.

Back