Paph. Shun-Fa Golden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paph. Shun-Fa Golden (malipoense x hangianum)

I purchased this as Paph. Memoria Larry Heuer (malipoense x emersonii 'H'), but I was assuming this would be SFG since the clonal name, emersonii 'H', seemed to suspiciously hint at hangianum being the true parent. Truthfully I'm glad my suspicions were correct. Since hangianum and its hybrids have, in the past, been mostly or entirely non-legal in the USA, some vendors and breeders purposely obscured the names to try and get these plants into the country. So now there are numerous examples of "emersonii" hybrids being sold and even some getting awarded that are clearly hangianum hybrids, since the only thing that seems to matter is what's on the label (rant over).

Even though this isn't the best quality flower of this cross, it still has some redeeming qualities. The flower is large with an approximately 6 1/2 inch natural spread. I think it's got nice color on the petals and loads of wonderful fragrant fuzz (at least I think that's where the scent is emanating from). It's a lovely fruity-floral scent, and this is by far my most fragrant paph. I'm also enjoying that the base color on this lives up to its namesake. The flower is nearly as yellow as my Paph. Norito Hasegawa. While I really enjoy the greener clones, I'm very happy mine is more golden yellow.

WUTO2n1l.jpg

68fEuzel.jpg

WKBFqLTl.jpg

n1Ht3ppl.jpg

I also meant to mention, this has actually already been in bloom for over a month now, and it's still going strong. In addition, another thing I like about this flower is that it's fragrant day and night, though it's most intense in the late morning and early afternoon.

I'd be happy with that!
Mine ( malipoense x emersonii 'Mr.Hang, yeah, even more obvious on my tag! Haha) is slowly opening up. The bud is just enormous!

Last year ( June), it had a badly deformed dorsal, but other than that, I loved it.
Large size, fragrant day & night as you say, and long lasting!
It also has a new growth starting just like it did last year.

Can't wait!!!

Very nice I do like these I have to yet to see one for sale in the uk will have to keep my eye out.
Great flower

I'd be happy with that!
Mine ( malipoense x emersonii 'Mr.Hang, yeah, even more obvious on my tag! Haha) is slowly opening up. The bud is just enormous!

Last year ( June), it had a badly deformed dorsal, but other than that, I loved it.
Large size, fragrant day & night as you say, and long lasting!
It also has a new growth starting just like it did last year.

Can't wait!!!

Good luck, and yes that clonal name is super obvious.

As long as the flowers are this fragrant, I don't care what they look like, I love them! Of course, these SFGs are all turning out very nicely in my opinion, even the bad ones are pretty. I'm glad I've got 2 more of this cross, can't wait to see those bloom out.

I got this plant early last year if memory serves correct. It spiked up shortly after, but I pinched the bud since it was a single growth seedling. But this year, with 2 mature sized growths and a new growth starting, I was confident it would be healthy enough to bloom.

It seems to be a vigorous grower and easy to please ... hope I'm not jinxing it.

You're brave! I never pinch off any buds as I normally find myself too curious to see what the bloom would be like. :p

I've got one other SFG in bud. I got the plant a little over a year ago, and the bud seems to have stalled, so it might be dead.

I have two seedlings from about two years ago.
They have been surprisingly good growers. One is nearing a mature size.
They were 2-3inches wide back then. not bad for a home grower!

I wish I had gotten more, but these plants tend to get a bit big for my liking.
I'm focusing on smaller ones, like armeniacum or micranthum hybrids.

Good luck to all of us! :)

Good luck, and yes that clonal name is super obvious.

As long as the flowers are this fragrant, I don't care what they look like, I love them! Of course, these SFGs are all turning out very nicely in my opinion, even the bad ones are pretty. I'm glad I've got 2 more of this cross, can't wait to see those bloom out.

I got this plant early last year if memory serves correct. It spiked up shortly after, but I pinched the bud since it was a single growth seedling. But this year, with 2 mature sized growths and a new growth starting, I was confident it would be healthy enough to bloom.

It seems to be a vigorous grower and easy to please ... hope I'm not jinxing it.

I'm surprised by the glossy surface of this flower.

My malipoense and SFG flowers were covered with fine hair all over.
Malipoense did have some gloss on the pouch, though.

Yours look shiny all over!

I'm surprised by the glossy surface of this flower.

My malipoense and SFG flowers were covered with fine hair all over.
Malipoense did have some gloss on the pouch, though.

Yours look shiny all over!

I only see the pouch, maybe a touch in the first PIC on the petal with the hand behind it.

I only see the pouch, maybe a touch in the first PIC on the petal with the hand behind it.

The fuzziness is a tad tough to see in my crappy photos.

There is a pretty dense concentration of fairly long hairs spanning about 1/4 - 1/3 of the petals near the staminode. Much denser than I recall on my MLH. Much of the rest of the petals and sepals are covered in very short, dense hairs, which are also longer near the staminode.

The outside of the pouch is also covered by the hairs and is mostly matte, except at the top right around the lip and the lip itself, where it becomes glossy like the staminode.

I see.

Mine was hairy all over. lol

It is opening up slowly and I don't see any deformity on the dorsal this time.
Third time's a charm, I guess! :)

Latest posts

Back