Paph. Shirley Amundson

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Was" gorgeous.

7°F night, coupled with a greenhouse heater and alarm failure took care of it...
Poor plant ... others too.

What do you suggest for backups in a new GH if I was to build one, besides a generator (and primary gas heating) with 2 alarms (electricity and battery ones)?

I knew Shirley Amundson but it was her husband, Neal that was the paph grower. He was a professor at Rice University and lived near campus where he grew his orchids. He was the first person to grow and bloom complex paphs in the Texas heat, at least in the Houston area.

Poor plant ... others too.
Yes, a 20-year collection, about half of which were self-collected (pre-CITES) or purchased while on business trips to South America and China.

What do you suggest for backups in a new GH if I was to build one, besides a generator (and primary gas heating) with 2 alarms (electricity and battery ones)?
In the years that followed, I bought a gas heater that did not require electricity for the controls, and always had a backup propane radiant heater that sat on a tank (of which I kept several on hand).917120BE-3D91-433D-9C86-22CE4DB14B3B.jpeg

I used one in a 14' x 18', but size, glazing, and temperature will al play a role.

I went with a radiant type as the convection types (attached) tend to burn "dirtier".

convection.jpg

Latest posts

Back