Paph SHIN YI'S PRIDE (2 plants)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you like more, #1 (single spike) or #2 (double spike)

• Total voters

firehawk1972

Reaction score
Here is a great example of two plants from the same grex bearing different flowers.
Plant #1 has a very wide dorsal and synsepal, and its long petals hang freely, while plant #2 has narrower dorsal, holds its petals out more before they dangle.
I am taking both for AOS judging this weekend.
Both are Shin Yi's Pride... (Michael Koopowitz x rothschildianum)

Attachments

• 20190414_132049.jpg
    20190414_132049.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 20190411_121804.jpg
    20190411_121804.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • 20190412_135113.jpg
    20190412_135113.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190414_132159.jpg
    20190414_132159.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Apples or pears? They are both very nice... Hmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions...You forgot to mention the difference in lip colour - here I go for #2 and I also like the stance of the petals of #2 better... My ideal would probably be the colouring of lip and petal stance of #2, the size and form of the dorsal of #1...hard pressed, I think, I would end up weighing my hands down in favour of #2 :cool:

Let's hear of the judging result of the AOS (bearing in mind the sometimes aesthetic idiosyncrasies or the bending to popular fads of the judges!)?

Kind regards,
Jens

I prefer the presentation and size of dorsal on the single spike plant, but to be honest, it is hard to tell from the photos. I can see that you have tried to make the comparison easy by elevating the one plant, but I would need a better photo to know for sure. I suspect the single spike did better in judging than the other. Mike

Big joke. Not an award. Zero. Zip. Tired of dragging plants in for AOS judging, only to have them passed, while inferior plants get awarded

Any outright crazy judging fortunately do not detract from the quality of the plants and flowers ("an Sich" as the philosophically minded germans probably would have it)!

If it's a comfort to you: Sam Tsui exhibited in Dresden this year a gorgeous clone and flower of P. malipoense - it was qualitywise light years ahead of all other examples of that species at the arrangement... but did it get an award?
Likewise mr. Christiansen of Fredensborg last year at the EOCCE conference in Paris exhibited a P. sukhakuli, that was IMHO GM-quality, if ever there was one... he got away with quite a few other prizes, but was that plant and flower singled out for an award at all?

I guess, that all you, guys and galls, out there without the least difficulties can provide the right answers to my rhetorical questions.

Finally, I'm not saying that orchid judging as such is prone to helter-skelter, idiosyncratic subjectivism, far from it. Sometimes, though, the outcome can seem to be somewhat motivated by national/regional or political considerations, personal likes (or dislikes) or arbitrary aesthetical preferences on behalf of the judges...sometimes all of these factors intermingled in a stew, that's not easy to dissect for the unknowing, maybe even innocent bystander! :confused:

Kind regards
Jens

Last edited:
If you ever get a chance talk to terry glancy of former pine ridge orchids, he will explain the orchid polotics thoroughly. If it makes you feel any better, if I had a sanderianum alba, it would not get awarded hahahaha

No judging for me. If I bring my plants to our meeting for show and tell and they happen to be there and wanna judge,,, then I will probably let them do it. But we are a small group and no judges ever go there. So no judging.

If you ever get a chance talk to terry glancy of former pine ridge orchids, he will explain the orchid polotics thoroughly. If it makes you feel any better, if I had a sanderianum alba, it would not get awarded hahahaha
I actually know Terry...or rather, I met him many times at even had dinner at his house in the kitchen with him and his wife

Back