Paph Season 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wössner Black Wings, select clone from Sam out of roths 'Red Sea' x anitum 'Ace'. Sam recorded a dw of 6.2 and pw 1.6 on the tag, this blooming is 5.6 and 1.5 so I'm going to grow it out a while before submitting it. I would hate to have such a nice plant devalued with an HCC.

View attachment 40535

Johanna's Angel, I've only found two pics of the grex online and both were disasters. This one is better but that's not saying much.

View attachment 40536

Julius, a pretty average example of the grex IMO.

View attachment 40537

Phrag. walisii/warscewiczianum is loaded with spikes but they are staggering their development instead of putting on a big show.

View attachment 40538
View attachment 40539
View attachment 40540

A few non-slippers are blooming too, here are Encyclia tampensis alba and Zygo Cynosure 'Blue Birds'

View attachment 40541
View attachment 40542
View attachment 40543
That Blue Birds is lovely. I think the one I got recently is spiking, so hopefully I'll get to see a bloom like that in person soon

These all look too much alike, but I actually think that looks like what the tag says it is.
WBW is nearly black maroon at this stage. Roth is heavily striped against bright background color.
This looks to be just in between the two. But then, many other things can look like this, too.
Only a few more weeks!

Last edited:
As the second Hilo Black Eagle developed I started getting suspicious of the buds and sure enough it's another mislabel and also another stonei hybrid. I'm leaning toward Hung Sheng Cape from what I can see of it. We'll see when it is fully open.
I certainly hope for you, Tony, that you will soon draw a winner in the genetic raffle, sponsored by your defunct multi-provider! 😉😎

I wonder if the Hilo Black Eagles are actually Hilo Bald Eagles (JB/WBW x stonei)

That's what I'm thinking now, James Fang just posted one that's a dead ringer for the one I thought was a Lady Roths, and the second plant fits. Third is still developing but I can already see stonei in the buds.

Screenshot_20230529_061251_eBay.jpg

20230524_164851.jpg
20230524_164858.jpg

It’s like a murder mystery dinner on whodunnit

You could play Cato to my Inspector Clouseau, Leslie, as we unravel the Hybrid Murders, that I fear will unfold, if not one of Tony's HBEs turns out to be, what they ought to be, as it seems, they are not! (to distortedly paraphrase the Log Woman from TP) ☠️

That's what I'm thinking now, James Fang just posted one that's a dead ringer for the one I thought was a Lady Roths, and the second plant fits. Third is still developing but I can already see stonei in the buds.

View attachment 40744

Now that I have this plant from James in my hands I have no doubt, it's a twin to my first "Hilo Black Eagle". Mystery solved.

Latest posts

Back