Paph Season 2022

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hung Sheng Eagle × anitum produced a disaster of a flower, wiped out pretty much any trace of gigantifolium influence and just looks like a poor Wössner Black Wings.

Attachments

• 20220303_173625.jpg
    20220303_173625.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 36
Hung Sheng Eagle × anitum produced a disaster of a flower, wiped out pretty much any trace of gigantifolium influence and just looks like a poor Wössner Black Wings.
Tony, you critics is very harsh.....mine would be much milder.

Last edited:
Not quite fully open yet but I'm loving this roths 'Gold Dynasty' × 'Giant Wings'. Also opening is a Wössner Black Wings from roths 'Leo'× anitum 'Ace'. Sam's WBW have a different look to them compared to the ones I have out of Taiwanese breeding.

Attachments

• 20220316_145315.jpg
    20220316_145315.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220316_145321.jpg
    20220316_145321.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220316_145331.jpg
    20220316_145331.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 37
Forgot that I also have a SeeHer Atian Royal (Bel Royal × roths) opening. The more I see of roths primary backcrosses the less interested I am in blooming more of them lol

Attachments

• 20220315_135437.jpg
    20220315_135437.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 32
Forgot that I also have a SeeHer Atian Royal (Bel Royal × roths) opening. The more I see of roths primary backcrosses the less interested I am in blooming more of them lol
Agree with you. Roths shines by himself

I’m not a fan of kolopakingii and it’s hybrids in general, I feel kolo lessens the form and washes out the color, but in general I would agree with you about the backcrosses. A few exceptions would be Lady Rothschild, Rollie Wilson, and Hilo Black Eagle. With regards to Lady Roths, stonei is so dominant in its hybrids, even 2 shots of roth can’t always overcome it. The best have the color of Lady Isobel with the form of a pure roth, and they can be absolutely spectacular. James Fang of HOF has been blooming out an amazing grex of Rollie Wilson, and I think at least one sibling plant has won an FCC, just massive flowers with incredibly wide petals. I think the plant was posted here, so probably worth searching around.

Agree this roth looks promising, loving the petal stance so far. Please post again when it’s fully open!
Not quite fully open yet but I'm loving this roths 'Gold Dynasty' × 'Giant Wings'. Also opening is a Wössner Black Wings from roths 'Leo'× anitum 'Ace'. Sam's WBW have a different look to them compared to the ones I have out of Taiwanese breeding.

My only complaint is the size of the sepals, but the petal stance and coloring is fantastic. This plant was shipped last month and repotted, then spiked within a couple of weeks of that so I'm sure it's not blooming as well as it could have. I'll definitely keep it to see what it can do on a more mature plant.

20220319_174432.jpg20220319_174437.jpg20220319_174309.jpg20220319_174259.jpg

I’m not a fan of kolopakingii and it’s hybrids in general, I feel kolo lessens the form and washes out the color, but in general I would agree with you about the backcrosses. A few exceptions would be Lady Rothschild, Rollie Wilson, and Hilo Black Eagle. With regards to Lady Roths, stonei is so dominant in its hybrids, even 2 shots of roth can’t always overcome it. The best have the color of Lady Isobel with the form of a pure roth, and they can be absolutely spectacular. James Fang of HOF has been blooming out an amazing grex of Rollie Wilson, and I think at least one sibling plant has won an FCC, just massive flowers with incredibly wide petals. I think the plant was posted here, so probably worth searching around.

I am growing out some Lady Roths, and I have a Haur Jih Anita/Hilo Black Eagle in sheath now. I'll give them their chance of course but they'll have to be pretty spectacular to earn their bench space after blooming, if they look too rothy I'd rather just grow roths.

Latest posts

Back