Paph Season 2022

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how big the flower is in relation to the plant in aingreen's Grande. Is it a multifloral variety?

The Hung Sheng Cape ended in a hung jury at judging, four judges had it in AM range and one hated it so much he wouldn't budge off 74 points. I'll try it again in a couple of years.

20220521_083131.jpg

Another Hung Sheng Cape on the way:

20220525_145206.jpg

And a first bloom lowii, pretty average IMO.

20220525_145037.jpg

Tony, your greenhouse looks very tidy....and of course nice blooms. Am I correct with naming them Clowesia (hybrid?), Phalaenopsis bellina and Zygopetalum (hybrid?)

Tony, your greenhouse looks very tidy....and of course nice blooms. Am I correct with naming them Clowesia (hybrid?), Phalaenopsis bellina and Zygopetalum (hybrid?)
Thank you. The blooms are Clowesetum Diane Drisch, Phal violacea Indigo, and Nottara Lucy's Sassafrass

Nice setup! Question though, do the plants in the lower shelves get dripped in from the upper plants? If so, have you had any problems with disease? I had this problem before.

I've never had any issues, as long as air movement and basic hygeine are good it's largely a myth. Same as overhead watering causing rot, they get hit with the garden hose several times a week, I don't have the time or the patience to carefully bottom water every plant 😂

The Hung Sheng Cape ended in a hung jury at judging, four judges had it in AM range and one hated it so much he wouldn't budge off 74 points.
Any idea why the fifth judge hated it? Just arbitrary, idiosyncratic reasons....or did he/she/they have any valid grounds?
If the reasons were based on pure aesthetics I.e. the dislike was based on the hatred of the cross as such, the judge should consider handing in h/h/t's credentials and retire. I can't fathom, why it wasn't deemed awardable?!

Any idea why the fifth judge hated it? Just arbitrary, idiosyncratic reasons....or did he/she/they have any valid grounds?
If the reasons were based on pure aesthetics I.e. the dislike was based on the hatred of the cross as such, the judge should consider handing in h/h/t's credentials and retire. I can't fathom, why it wasn't deemed awardable?!

I'd rather not say too much in public since I'd like to be eligible for future awards but it did seem to be a matter of stubbornness rather than flower quality.

Latest posts

Back