Paph Seagrove Spice Girl

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Well, the long Paph drought is finally over. This is the first Paph I have bloomed since 2013 on growths grown under my care. I got this plant off Ebay in bloom (photo right at the end). It nearly died twice while trying to grow Paphs in Iowa and has now finally recovered to the point where it could manage flowers. The plants are still weak, in my opinion, and I expect the flowers to improve over time.

Whole plant and flowers (the central growth linking the two flowering growths is dead).
spicerianum-x-gege-hughes-Nov-30-2019-a.png

This one has a wide dorsal sepal.
spicerianum-x-gege-hughes-Nov-30-2019-b.png

This one has a narrow high dorsal sepal. The lack of uniformity suggests the plant isn't 100% healthy yet.
spicerianum-x-gege-hughes-Nov-30-2019-c.png

I bought it because the plants looked very yellow in the below photo. The color of the blooms does seem to be changing so there might be some photo updates in due course.
spicerianum-x-gege-hughes-close-up.png

I have a paph from Hillsview Gardens in spike and a Phrag Fox Valley Fireball in spike... and a Laelia anceps and a Catasetum that is on its way out. The move from Iowa to TN and growing under lights have done my plants very well.

Congrats! What do you think made these difficult to grow/flower while you were in Iowa versus Tennessee?

I'm guessing this cross has a semi-local connection (for me) since I assume it was registered by Linda at Seagrove Orchids here in NC.

Hello,

Winter humidity was brutal and the tap water was very hard... I could never keep up with distilled water. Summer was helishly hot and I had the same water problem. Also, just a poor growing space.

Congrats to the recovering and two flowers! I'm sure the flowers will improve over the years. The yellow colour of the flower in the old pic looks like a fading flower to me. So will get that colour for sure ;)

Latest posts

Back