Paph sangii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deformed or not, it’s beautiful!

A sangii in bloom is a celebration!! Congrats! Woohoo!

I’m hopeful 3 of my 6 sangiis will bloom as I saw buds at base with a backlit flashlight.

(And yes, I go around at night with my flashlight spying on my plants lol).
Yes it is pretty cool regardless. I’m excited about it for sure!

It was about to open Monday. Here is the photo that I took. Unfortunately, I wont be able to see it blossom as I am out of town... I hope it will open up for me when I get home 🥰.

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_103116099_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201011_103116099_HDR.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201011_102900368_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201011_102900368_HDR.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 14
Deformed or not, it’s beautiful!

A sangii in bloom is a celebration!! Congrats! Woohoo!

I’m hopeful 3 of my 6 sangiis will bloom as I saw buds at base with a backlit flashlight.

(And yes, I go around at night with my flashlight spying on my plants lol).
I would like to see a demonstration of this method!

Well here it is. First bloom for me. A little deformed, but that’s ok. I’m just glad I was able to bloom it!! I bought it as a small seedling, a year and a half ago and it’s been very vigorous for me. View attachment 22584View attachment 22585View attachment 22586View attachment 22587
sangii is one of the monster lady Paphs. Every single one I’ve seen looks “deformed.” And they’re also SPECTACULAR. Yours has very dark maroon laterals, which is extra interesting because to my eye (I welcome contradiction) your plant looks a bit chlorotic. I think you need more light, as well as more nitrogen and the cal-mag to process it. I mean not now; now, enjoy the flower. But when it’s done (or you’re done with it), I think you need to green up that plant.

sangii is one of the monster lady Paphs. Every single one I’ve seen looks “deformed.” And they’re also SPECTACULAR. Yours has very dark maroon laterals, which is extra interesting because to my eye (I welcome contradiction) your plant looks a bit chlorotic. I think you need more light, as well as more nitrogen and the cal-mag to process it. I mean not now; now, enjoy the flower. But when it’s done (or you’re done with it), I think you need to green up that plant.
It’s in a west window, where it receives bright shade most the day, and depending on the time of year, 2-4 hrs of direct sun in the afternoon. I’m sure it’s a lack of nutrients. This past year has been hectic and I haven’t had the time to properly care for my collection as I usually do. I will say though, that since growing my plants in the west window where the receive high light all day and direct sun, they all have lightened up considerably and have all become a lot more compact, which should be expected.

It’s in a west window, where it receives bright shade most the day, and depending on the time of year, 2-4 hrs of direct sun in the afternoon. I’m sure it’s a lack of nutrients. This past year has been hectic and I haven’t had the time to properly care for my collection as I usually do. I will say though, that since growing my plants in the west window where the receive high light all day and direct sun, they all have lightened up considerably and have all become a lot more compact, which should be expected.
I hear you. I had COVID and my stuff suffered for months while I took massive doses of steroids...then got off them. *shudder. West windows house my cacti, Vandas and Broughtonia. Never tried a slipper there...maybe it’s time. I was told sangii needed light like hookerae and volonteanum and well, the one I have seems happiest with lightly filtered Ray Barkalow’s K-Lite changed my life but I do pump up the nutrients with occasional seaweed/fish emulsion and I also add Cal-Mag a few times a year. Hoping you can give some WEAK feeding during this bloom? Because I don’t see a new fan coming and this one will probably be toast after blooming. And I really like your flower. Maybe send the pollen out to someone? The form is the form but this is a rare taxon and those laterals are delicious.

I hear you. I had COVID and my stuff suffered for months while I took massive doses of steroids...then got off them. *shudder. West windows house my cacti, Vandas and Broughtonia. Never tried a slipper there...maybe it’s time. I was told sangii needed light like hookerae and volonteanum and well, the one I have seems happiest with lightly filtered Ray Barkalow’s K-Lite changed my life but I do pump up the nutrients with occasional seaweed/fish emulsion and I also add Cal-Mag a few times a year. Hoping you can give some WEAK feeding during this bloom? Because I don’t see a new fan coming and this one will probably be toast after blooming. And I really like your flower. Maybe send the pollen out to someone? The form is the form but this is a rare taxon and those laterals are delicious.
Well I’m glad to hear you recovered!! My step dad died from it a few months back. I grow everything in that west window with direct sun, even phalaenopsis like my schilleriana, and Celebensis. All my Bulbophyllum’s went crazy after putting them there too. All my paphs do great with those light levels, even the species that say need deep shade.

Nice P. sangii and like others wrote here alraedy before P. sangii looks always a bit sad and wonky. Thats quite common with these flowers

.......because to my eye (I welcome contradiction) your plant looks a bit chlorotic. I think you need more light.....
Brucher, I would contradict. I think the plant has too much light on a west facing window without shading. I grow my Brachis on a west facing window sill without shading but wouldn't do this with Paphs of the sugenus Sigmapetalum. And if it was chlorotic....I think Nitrogen wouldn't help.

Wow... I’m glad you survived this nasty virus. Hopefully no chronic after effects.

I will gladly use this pollen on my sangiis if they decide to bloom properly in the next few weeks/months.

Latest posts

Back