Paph sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirGo

having a soft spot for albino slipper species
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph sanderianum,
one of the few non-albino species in my small collection that I belief fully deserves his space...
with the extreme heat we had in Belgium, very dry air because of in-house culture, I was really affraid the bud would abort. Instead it progressed from first visible bud to open in 16 days. This is the second flowering, first flowered in December 2018. It is a cross of 'Wonderland' x 'Twister'. I really like the dark color. I suspect the petals could still extend a bit, they are 46cm but still have a nice growing tip.

sand01.jpg
sand02.jpg

Dirk, I can't think of a Paph. sanderianum which doesn't deserve its space in ones collection. Lovely flowers ann your plant looks fresh despite the extreme heat. Congrats ! 👌Maybe the petals will expand few cm more ..... the ones of my Paph. sanderianum had a leght between 55 and 60 cm.

I always think of my mom reading me my favourite story as a little girl when I see this one. "Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair." This is absolutely one of my most favourite paphs and I too have been lucky enough to bloom one. Pictures do not do it justice. Yours is just beautiful and looks to be so very well grown. Congratulations!

Thanks for all nice comments.

on the compact plant size: It was grown under higher intensity grow LED with a lot of blue in it. I noticed all my plants were growing very compact indeed, but recently I lowered light intensity. Faster growers already show increase in leave size and less curved leaves so I belief it to be better.

on the petal size, the largest ones are now 60 cm and I have no good way to raise it any higher in my in-house rack, so I guess this extending will come to an end now :)

sand03.jpg

Nice. Do you want the albino one? :p
Thank you Eric, but really no need, I already have five very small seedlings of Paphiopedilum sanderianum fma. album on order, I bought them on ebay for 5.000 euro each from scammer564, and it is now twenty four weeks I am waiting for them to arrive... every time the delivery guy rings at the door, sadly I wake up from my dream and realize it's my alarm clock again... 😇 so I just keep dreaming for now.

Thank you Eric, but really no need, I already have five very small seedlings of Paphiopedilum sanderianum fma. album on order, I bought them on ebay for 5.000 euro each from scammer564, and it is now twenty four weeks I am waiting for them to arrive... every time the delivery guy rings at the door, sadly I wake up from my dream and realize it's my alarm clock again... 😇 so I just keep dreaming for now.
Mine’s about to bloom 4 spikes!

Thanks for all nice comments.

on the compact plant size: It was grown under higher intensity grow LED with a lot of blue in it. I noticed all my plants were growing very compact indeed, but recently I lowered light intensity. Faster growers already show increase in leave size and less curved leaves so I belief it to be better.

on the petal size, the largest ones are now 60 cm and I have no good way to raise it any higher in my in-house rack, so I guess this extending will come to an end now :)

View attachment 35680
You can’t just raise it up on bricks?

Congrats on flowering one of these, it’s quite an accomplishment! It’s beautiful tok!

Latest posts

Back