• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph Sanderianum wanted

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex, Go ahead and buy the plant from Lance. He's honest and if he says it's sanderianum then it's sanderianum. My first one to bloom took 6 yrs and it was a bit bigger then an eyelash (maybe 4"ls). It had 3 flowers, no second growth and about 22" ls. The light was way stronger then Phal light and I fertilized the crap out of it.. Bottom line: you got to know what you're doing and for 30 bucks I'd be buying 3 or 4 of them!

Alex, Go ahead and buy the plant from Lance. He's honest and if he says it's sanderianum then it's sanderianum. My first one to bloom took 6 yrs and it was a bit bigger then an eyelash (maybe 4"ls). It had 3 flowers, no second growth and about 22" ls. The light was way stronger then Phal light and I fertilized the crap out of it.. Bottom line: you got to know what you're doing and for 30 bucks I'd be buying 3 or 4 of them!

Agreed! If you want sanderianum......get sanderianum. I don't find it any different to grow than any other strap-leafed Paph.

Sorry to learn that you don’t approve of my advice Lance. I don’t believe it is necessary to always agree with everybody’s opinion at all cost. In this case you don’t agree with me, nor do I agree with you. And that’s fine with me.
It should however be possible for Alex to realise our 2 different viewpoints or motives. My advice was given considering Alex’ (assumed) abilities as a grower as well as his desire to flower a plant quickly. Most people who want to grow a species like sanderianum don’t want to grow leafs for 10 years. The entire point of growing sanderianum, are its flowers.
One more thing: Knowing what you’re talking about isn’t a sin. In the case of Paph. sanderianum it could be worth your while to make the effort, and do some research.
Again, sorry if I upset you over 30$! No hard feelings dude!

:evil: I agree with both camps. It all depnds on your preference.

If you are totally inexperienced, and in a hurry, buy plants that are in bloom, or in bud. Start with a hybrid if you have never kept a Paph alive for more than a few months. Do some home work, learn what they need.

Seed populations of Paph sanderianum are much easier to grow than the original wild collected population. The sanderianum seedlings available now are at least one or two generations along the road to domestication. They are not the 'wild things' that were so much trouble back when sanderianum was first rediscovered.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the tasks required in the day to day of raising an orchid, and if you take delight in seeing healthy new leaves, and all the other signs of growth and life, then buy the most affordable seedlings you can. As Lance said; whether they bloom now or 10 years later is not the primary reward. They primary reward is activity of growing the seedlings. Flowers are the bonus. Some of us also dabble in bonsai. Now that's an art that requires that you have no attachment to the end product. If you enjoy the process, that is the reward. If the end product is your only source of joy, you will quit with bonsai in no time. Similar in many ways for raising orchids from seedlings.

I'm sorry to cause argument in this thread which was never my intention. I am a newbie to orchids and this forum. So, I might want something that's close to blooming size or will flower relatively soon. Not that I do not want to grow orchids from small seedlings. I just don't think I have the ability to take care of a small seedling that requires special care under specific conditions.

I really appreciate all your guys' advice and suggestions. I'm very happy that I joined this thread.

Sorry to learn that you don’t approve of my advice Lance. I don’t believe it is necessary to always agree with everybody’s opinion at all cost. In this case you don’t agree with me, nor do I agree with you. And that’s fine with me.
It should however be possible for Alex to realise our 2 different viewpoints or motives. My advice was given considering Alex’ (assumed) abilities as a grower as well as his desire to flower a plant quickly. Most people who want to grow a species like sanderianum don’t want to grow leafs for 10 years. The entire point of growing sanderianum, are its flowers.
One more thing: Knowing what you’re talking about isn’t a sin. In the case of Paph. sanderianum it could be worth your while to make the effort, and do some research.
Again, sorry if I upset you over 30$! No hard feelings dude!

I'm not the least bit upset. No worries.

I respect your opinion and for some people I agree with it. But I did not read into alex question that he was inexperienced. You strongly pointed him a direction that may not have been necessary and certainly not the only way to approach orchid growing. Like young people new growers should be encouraged to experiment and learn from the doing and not just rely on buying.

My thought was if I were alex I would have just had my bubble burst.... "what is the use in trying to grow something I really like....I guess I should buy plants that aren't what I dream to have so that I don't make a mistake."

If I were giving him what I thought was "the best advice possible" I would have told him to buy the biggest plant he can afford but also to purchase a one or more smaller seedlings so he could have the experience of learning how they grow.

Maybe we just have different perspectives on what is better? Home grown garden vegetables only taste better than store bought because you grew them. When you plant a tomato seed you never know if you will get a fruit but it sure is exciting to see the fruits of your labor.

I don't think the entire point of growing sanderianum is only it's flowers. I think the entire point is growing it and the flowers are the reward.

Yep no hard feelings dude and I appreciate your advice about making some effort doing some research. What you aren't realizing is that is what I did with sanderianum.... the results are... the plants can be grown from flask without any special knowledge or care.

I could care less about selling the plant for $30, that was a favor for a beginner. My point of mentioning that was to illustrate that all low priced plants are not bad.

I'm sorry to cause argument in this thread which was never my intention. I am a newbie to orchids and this forum. So, I might want something that's close to blooming size or will flower relatively soon. Not that I do not want to grow orchids from small seedlings. I just don't think I have the ability to take care of a small seedling that requires special care under specific conditions.

I really appreciate all your guys' advice and suggestions. I'm very happy that I joined this thread.

Argument? I don't see no argument? What argument?
No we are just having a discussion. :clap:

All the advice you have been given is good, just remember to listen to more than one person and then make your own decisions.

Welcome to Slippertalk, Alex.

As you've read, there are as many opinions as there are people here -- and all base their opinions on their own experience/knowledge.

I think there are risks whichever route you choose. One needs patience to raise a plant from seedling to blooming size, and careful tending. But that's also true with blooming size plants. Your conditions may be very different from the care the blooming size plants have gotten before it came to you. Sometimes the transition is easy, but sometimes, not so much. In any case, it's a learning experience, sometimes frustrating, sometimes rewarding, but always growth within the grower.

I'm so happy that I joined this forum. It's like everything about Paph and Phrag from experienced personals. I no longer have to call the nurseries and wait for their call back or email. Thank you guys so much.

Back