• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph Sanderianum wanted

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alexta6

Hi,

I've been looking for a Paph Sanderianum for a while. couldn't find any cause everything that I searched for was a hybrid of it and something else.

Does any of you have one?

Thanks,

Alex

hi.
welcome to slippertalk.
have you tried Piping Rock Orchids, Orchids Limited, Orchid Inn?

Thank you, guys. I was able to find some. I was wondering if this is a really hard to take of species?? I heard it takes years to bloom. I really like Paph or Phrag with really long pedals. any other suggestions?

Yes! One:
Buy from trusted and reputable nurseries like the 3 names you have been given!!! There’s no point at all buying plants like sanderianum from anybody less reputable shall we say. It’s probably a very good idea, given your last remark to buy flowering size plants, which are available. You won’t have to wait long, and you know that most of the work (growing and breeding) has been done for you. I guess what I’m really saying is: buy the strongest plant you can find from the best nurseries around. Some people shop around for ever, to buy a 5 inch plant for 12.99 which will take 10 years to grow into something that’s not what the label says it is…
Trust the breeders, and pay them for their work. Don't waste time or money on less than the best possible quality.

Yes! One:
Buy from trusted and reputable nurseries like the 3 names you have been given!!! There’s no point at all buying plants like sanderianum from anybody less reputable shall we say. It’s probably a very good idea, given your last remark to buy flowering size plants, which are available. You won’t have to wait long, and you know that most of the work (growing and breeding) has been done for you. I guess what I’m really saying is: buy the strongest plant you can find from the best nurseries around. Some people shop around for ever, to buy a 5 inch plant for 12.99 which will take 10 years to grow into something that’s not what the label says it is…
Trust the breeders, and pay them for their work. Don't waste time or money on less than the best possible quality.

Correction, John Boy:......Including Leo, Alex has been given 4 names. Leo may not be a "nursery"; but, I don't think anyone can say that he's not reputable. He was the first name that I thought of to suggest....and I believe that his plants and prices are excellent!

There are plenty of sanderianum around for sale but just make sure it's a reputable dealer or you'll find its sander x!!! Welcome from NYC!:D

My bad John! I never meant to exclude Leo in my recommendation.

What I did suggest was: buy the best you can find, from the best breeders or nurseries.

:eek: Aw shucks, thanks guys for your vote of confidence, I try. :)

I took down my sanderianum offeringfor the moment, because every plant has just been repotted. Once they are all established and showing signs of growing roots I will put the sanderianum offerings back up. Most likely middle of July.

Thanks, John Boy.

I don't know what does "LS" stands for. How long does a 11'' LS Paph Sanderianum take to bloom? I heard they are very slow grower

Hey Alex,
just to give you the best advice possible:
I’m wondering if you have done you homework about Paph. sanderianum?! Do you know where it comes from, or how it grows in its natural habitat? What do you know about the history of that particular species? Don’t get me wrong, I can understand that you want one!!! I’m wondering if you know what Paph. sanderianum really means, and: what it means to some of the breeders involved in its history or culture. To understand and know about the things surrounding sanderinanum is part of the key to grow it successfully. To want a reasonably priced plant is a legitimate thing to ask for, but for someone starting with multiflorals it is equally important to have done their homework. If you don’t, you’ll not be successful with this species. How long it will take a 11 inch plant to start flowering depends on you, and your skill and set-up. There is no number to that question. It can take 2 years or it can be 8, or maybe it dies on the way. Tell you what: Why don’t you consider the primary-hybrids involving sanderinanum!? There’s stuff to be found that’s equally rewarding to grow like Angel Hair, or Prince Edward of York. You can pick up FS (Flowering Size) plants for the fraction of the price of a sanderinanum, and once you have flowered these plants, kept them alive, and learnt what it takes… come back to sanderianum. In the alternative talk to Sam or Jerry or Robert, and they will sort you out. There is more to Paph. sanderinanum than you might think. To get it right the first time and to save you time and money consider this advice, and you’ll have avoided mistakes that many of us have made (including myself)….

Hey Alex,
just to give you the best advice possible:
I’m wondering if you have done you homework about Paph. sanderianum?! Do you know where it comes from, or how it grows in its natural habitat? What do you know about the history of that particular species? Don’t get me wrong, I can understand that you want one!!! I’m wondering if you know what Paph. sanderianum really means, and: what it means to some of the breeders involved in its history or culture. To understand and know about the things surrounding sanderinanum is part of the key to grow it successfully. To want a reasonably priced plant is a legitimate thing to ask for, but for someone starting with multiflorals it is equally important to have done their homework. If you don’t, you’ll not be successful with this species. How long it will take a 11 inch plant to start flowering depends on you, and your skill and set-up. There is no number to that question. It can take 2 years or it can be 8, or maybe it dies on the way. Tell you what: Why don’t you consider the primary-hybrids involving sanderinanum!? There’s stuff to be found that’s equally rewarding to grow like Angel Hair, or Prince Edward of York. You can pick up FS (Flowering Size) plants for the fraction of the price of a sanderinanum, and once you have flowered these plants, kept them alive, and learnt what it takes… come back to sanderianum. In the alternative talk to Sam or Jerry or Robert, and they will sort you out. There is more to Paph. sanderinanum than you might think. To get it right the first time and to save you time and money consider this advice, and you’ll have avoided mistakes that many of us have made (including myself)….

I agree--sanderianum is not a difficult species at all--it grows very easily in my experience--but there are some aspects to its culture that are important to know. Have you grown other multifloral paphs?

Isn't this kind of harse advice?

Personally I think Alexta6 has been given bad advice in this thread.

I get as much or more enjoyment out of growing a small seedling as I do seeing it flower. So what is a little time and effort?

To tell someone NOT to grow a plant from a small seedling is pretty short sighted.
So what if it takes 10 years to get to blooming size?
Maybe he plans to still have an orchid collection in 10 years?
Maybe he can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars for a blooming size sanderianum. So what? he should grow something else and not what excited him?

To suggest that he should limit his sources to the 3 or 4 biggest growers is also a bit short sighted. Believe it or not there are other quality plants available.

By the way I was the one that offered to sell him an 11" LS sanderianum seedling (for $30). And by the way the seedling came from the same breeder that Piping Rock bought theirs from, in fact the same seed pod I believe. And by the way the price is cheap because I thought I would give him a good deal.
I guess it was not such a good deal because it does not cost enough or come from one of the big 3?

And for what it is worth I have no idea about how sanderianum grows in it's natural environment. I never liked homework and I am growing it in a building and not in the jungle anyway.

Orchid Inn has them for sale. Sam Tsui is a very nice fellow to deal with.

They require night temperature not lower than 20 C at night and bright light that is suitable for Phalenopsis. Humidity should be 50-70% and use water with low salt content. They require a bit of air circulation for good health!

Since you live in San Diego you should join an orchid society and ask people who have experience growing sanderianum in your area.

I think 11 inch leafspan is half mature and will reach maturity at about 20-24 inch leafspan. But to flower it, the plant will have to put out a second growth.

Paphman910

Last edited:
Back