Paph. sanderianum "Ping Tong"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this plant personally at show and I think it is a hybrid. Very nice plant, indeed, but the lateral petals of a true sandi start horizotally and after 1-1,5 cm suddenly turn down ( like the flower has two shoulders).

The U-tube is of the highland "red" variety of sandie. This of the lowland influence. As all knows there is variation even within the species. No one has demonstrated to me this is anything but sanderianum.
The shoulders are evident on the second PIC/ first flower opened (matured)

Not all P. sanderianums petals, start out horizontal, for example on page 137 colour plate from The Genus Paphiopedilum 2nd edition Phillip Cribb shows a flowering plant in situ in Boreno, with 2 stems of flowers (7 flowers in total) all with no shoulders to the petals.

More and more, MK x sanderianum are sold like sanderianum. Why? The interest of this cross is to sell sanderianums with larger dorsal, even if the philippinense influence reduce a little the petals lenght.

But for me, this bloom is a pure sanderianum.
About lateral petals what start horizontaly, it's not true for all sandies and so, it's not a good explanation.

More and more, MK x sanderianum are sold like sanderianum. Why? The interest of this cross is to sell sanderianums with larger dorsal, even if the philippinense influence reduce a little the petals lenght.

But for me, this bloom is a pure sanderianum.
About lateral petals what start horizontaly, it's not true for all sandies and so, it's not a good explanation.

Here is a real sandi. I think it is very different, difference is bigger than variations within a sp. It is from orchidweb. Shoulder is just a thing but dorsal is narrow, ovary is pure white, not white with a few green. But it is just my opinion, I saw this plant, it was very nice indeed, but i think, not clear sandi.

Attachments

• sanderianum.jpg
    sanderianum.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 30
You can't judge this plant just comparing with another sanderianum. And more, there are highland and lowland sanderianum, what are very differents. And even crosses between the 2 forms.

I think this one is true but you're maybe right, it could have too philippinense in it. Not possible to be sure.

I would close this discussion now. I don't think it's a hybrid, it's just fourth generation plant in greenhouse cultivation, and its just a little more compact plant as usual. Look at some any other species variety in form. I take for Mr. Wu. He has lots of FCC and AM awarded paph, i don't think he must lie for a plant. But not my business. Sorry for terrible english, i hope any of you can understand what i would like to said.
Her are some more closeup pic from that plant finally:

Second view:

Kind regards:
Matyas

Back