Paph sanderianum in bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Paph sanderianum first bloom seedlings, IN BUD. Only four will be released, act quick or I may decide to keep them all. Leaf spans are 24 to 36 inches. The inflorescences develop quick once they start to move. These should bloom anywhere from late November to early January. More details at
www.schordje.com Go to the "For Sale" page.

sanderi580t.jpg
parent stock
sanderianum580e.jpg

update 11-9-2010

Only 2 left in bud, the buds are developing fast, act now, if either one opens, I will keep it and breed with it. :evil: I really can't afford to do that. :eek:

Remember, these are from the batch of seedlings that were the "leaders" or quickest growers, out of the many flasks I have handled over the years. These are the ones with the genetics that are somewhat better adapted to growing under lights or in a greenhouse, because they were raised from seed and brought into bloom under lights. This is important stock in terms of creating a population of sanderianum that will bloom under lights, or on a windowsill.

I have added front and back photos to the website of the 2 plants that are for sale. Go to www.schordje.com and then to the for sale page.

sanderianum #6
sand-budDSCN0836.jpg

go to website for back view, www.schordje.com

sanderianum # 1
sand-bud-1-DSCN0825.jpg

The media is medium grade (1/2 to 1 inch) Fir Bark, about 75%, some medium grade charcol, coarse sponge rock or perlite & a little crushed oyster shell. I found they really do not want the mix to go dry at all. So I water them more often than I would a Paph rothschildianum, usually once every 3 or 4 days. They are in the direct path of one of my small fans, so the air movement is good, so they are in a medium coarse mix with lots of air spaces & they are grown wet, about 36 inches below a 400 watt HPS lamp. Temperatures are intermediate, coldest is 58 F at night in winter.

Justin, your seedlings will pick up size fast, once they reach about a 12 inch leaf span. Think about whether you are keeping them moist enough, maybe shorten your interval between watering by a day. I also fertilize every time I water, using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of MSU Orchid Special formula. That's pretty dilute, but I do it every time I water. It should only be two to four years and the seedling(s) you got from me should be up to blooming size. Remember, the one above is at least 6 years from flask, maybe even a year or two older, I did not keep detailed notes.

Oh, Yes, thanks, I will try watering them a little more often. I wasn't talking about one of your sand seedlings by the way... I would never use the "r" word about plants I got from somebody else online :)

Oh, Yes, thanks, I will try watering them a little more often. I wasn't talking about one of your sand seedlings by the way... I would never use the "r" word about plants I got from somebody else online :)

Don't worry, no offense was taken. ;) The sanderianum you got from me is a 'runt' compared to the in bud plants, BUT it is about half the age of blooming sized plants, so I take no offense. I'm confident you can get yours up to size in time.

I can't believe these haven't been snapped up already. They are obviously more common than I realised over there. In Australia they would have been snapped up in no time, especially at those prices. I would have bought two myself. We just don't see plants like this ever. I'm so jealous.

David

I can't believe these haven't been snapped up already. They are obviously more common than I realised over there. In Australia they would have been snapped up in no time, especially at those prices. I would have bought two myself. We just don't see plants like this ever. I'm so jealous.

Leo, you have found a buyer for your last sands... :p Just ship them over...

I can't believe these haven't been snapped up already. They are obviously more common than I realized over there. In Australia they would have been snapped up in no time, especially at those prices. I would have bought two myself. We just don't see plants like this ever. I'm so jealous.

David

I wish I had export papers, but it is a long & involved process to get papers for any Paph or Phrag, I simply don't do enough business to be able to afford the effort. This is strictly a hobby for me.

I think the economy rather than abundance that is slowing the sales of these plants. There are a lot of smaller seedlings out there, but very few blooming plants. So those with seedlings, in this economy are choosing to wait, rather than to scratch the impulse itch.

I wish I had export papers, but it is a long & involved process to get papers for any Paph or Phrag, I simply don't do enough business to be able to afford the effort. This is strictly a hobby for me.

I think the economy rather than abundance that is slowing the sales of these plants. There are a lot of smaller seedlings out there, but very few blooming plants. So those with seedlings, in this economy are choosing to wait, rather than to scratch the impulse itch.

It is pretty impractical to bring them into Australia. It is expensive and they have to spend a long time in quarantine where they are seriously neglected. I've also been told that sanderianum does not take kindly to the chemicals they use in our quarantine and in fact most will die as a result.

David

Latest posts

Back