• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph sanderianum divisions for sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct, Tinh. Those plants on ebay are wild collected. There is no question. Why would anybody do that? The quality of artificially propagated plants is so much better now than wild plants; not to mention the fact that wild collected plants are illegal!

Getting back to the subject of this thread. I stand by my statement above. The plants on ebay are not growing in those pots. They look like they were bare-root and just plopped in those pots and the roots covered up with sphagnum moss for the photo. Also, even more telling for me is the fact that the leaf fans are not those of a plant that has grown in a pot, upright. The leaves have grown and are oriented in such a way that they are flattened out horizontally, like the way a fan of leaves is oriented while the plant is growing on a steep rock face, which is how sanderianum grows. I still say we're looking at jungle plants. Without photos showing the specimen mother plants, growing in a pot, with crappy leaves all over, I can't believe that these divisions on ebay are from cultivated plants. Why would someone who thinks so highly of himself and his plants let them get so beat up? It doesn't add up.

So how do they get them in the country? Register them as a Berenice or something?

So is Frank and the eBay seller definately the same person?

David

definitively, these are freshly (one year?) collected plants. These can't have been grown for 15 years. old jungle broken leaves would have disappeared for a while and new growths would have been straight, horizontal.
Or the grower likes to play football with them lol

sanderianum doesn't like to be divided. Those single growths listed on ebay are not going to bloom anytime soon.

Well, I can't say if these are recently collected or not, but as someone who has gone thru periods of upheaval when my plants had some serious neglect, and other times when they were grown under less than prime conditions out doors, it seems to me the appearance is not that bad, and they may indeed represent clones this guy has had in his collection for a number of yrs. Besides it seems more probable to me these are newly divided plants than plants that were somehow smuggled into the country to be sold. I am not planning on buying the plants, but if we jump on the case of someone who lurks around the forum then finally decides to make a post, we do ourselves a disservice . I think we are all-in-all generally a friendly and approachable group, and I hope others reading this post won't be put off by a tone that at times seems a bit less tactful than is necessary to me.

I guess Frank is not going to post his specimen size plants to show that these are not collected plants. As a matter of fact, he has not posted anything to clarify this matter at all. Hmmmmm.....

Well, I can't say if these are recently collected or not, but as someone who has gone thru periods of upheaval when my plants had some serious neglect, and other times when they were grown under less than prime conditions out doors, it seems to me the appearance is not that bad, and they may indeed represent clones this guy has had in his collection for a number of yrs. Besides it seems more probable to me these are newly divided plants than plants that were somehow smuggled into the country to be sold. I am not planning on buying the plants, but if we jump on the case of someone who lurks around the forum then finally decides to make a post, we do ourselves a disservice . I think we are all-in-all generally a friendly and approachable group, and I hope others reading this post won't be put off by a tone that at times seems a bit less tactful than is necessary to me.

I agree!

I guess Frank is not going to post his specimen size plants to show that these are not collected plants. As a matter of fact, he has not posted anything to clarify this matter at all. Hmmmmm.....
Frank has been accused of illegal activity in this thread. Why would he bother responding to such accusations? I wouldn't!!

While I don't know Frank, a quick search on Google will show he's no newbie. It seems he has been published in some of the best orchid periodicals and on numerous occasions visited the habitat of some of the slippers we discuss in this forum.

On Franks original post; Frank you are wasting your breath with all the conditions of sale as many people will agree to anything and then do what they want and by selling on eBay you don't know who you're selling to anyway.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards, Mick

Latest posts

Back