• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph. Sacajawea's Slipper: Still Searching

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
I'm still searching for Paph. Sacajawea's Slippers- seedlings, flask, compot, seeds, plant, pollen, anything. I got notified by someone on OB that Carolina Orchids had it listed on their paph list. I contacted them as soon as I found out and they replied back and said "Not available. Thanks. -Tom". I was so disappointed but what does 'not available' mean??? Anyone had experience with them before? Just wondering. Remember to tell me if you see, hear of, or have anything please. Thank you all!

maybe Tom can translate

found this in searching for somethign else

http://homepage2.nifty.com/BRB51716/Paph_hb.htm

That is weird! Just look at the color of the stem and ovary of the bud in the back! NEAT!

paph.sucagawea's%20slippers.jpg

Does it make anyone else wonder .... if this is a good example of the cross, what do the others look like?
So pretty and so hideous all at once. I guess that is the wonder of slipper orchids.
:clap: :rollhappy:
I'm sorry Orchid Boy, you may have a long and unproductive search, I'm having a hard time imagining that anyone would want to redo this cross and give up valuable bench space in this day & age.

I do not know of any breeders who have done this cross to my knowledge, but I will ask around to some private collectors. Most of them don't sell anything, but I could probably squeeze them for a trade if they have it.

I will let you know if I hear anything.

Just saw that a german vendor is offering
helenae X sanderianum if I can help you with that one let me know :D

I found too tat there was a cross armeniacum X sanderianum
have someone seen this for sale or a pic about it sounds interesting:confused:

Hmm... I would give Paph. Sacajawea's Slipper another try. Not because I think it could better than that but imagine that crossed onto something else, like stonei or a nice phil... P. sanderianum seems to make for terrible crosses except for a select few Multies. So imagine Paph. Sacajawea's Slipper with better presentation (i.e. stonei genetics) and maybe richer color (from a phil). Would that be worth a few sq ft of bench space to grow some plants out?

Or, how about just crossing it back onto sanderianum to resolve the deformity issues, lengthen the petals and hopefully, keep that awesome colour!

It would probably take 12-13 years for the Sacajawea's slippers to bloom in the first place and most of them will probably turn out to be pretty bad. Then another 10+ for the back-cross to bloom out. To Rose's point, that's a lot of bench space to dedicate almost a third of one's lifetime to. I would take sand out of the equation entirely and cross a great Delrosi back onto a roth or onto stonei. That would give you something truly worth waiting for.

But Orchid Boy, please don't let us dissuade you from your passion! If you find something that piques your interest, go for it! That's why we're all in this hobby in the first place.

I like this hybrid because it looks old-fashioned and imperfect. Like my grandparents old house, it has that same style. Now all hybrids are perfectly flat, round and new looking, like a lot of the modern style houses, they're nice but get kinda old.....

i do agree about how so many orchids all look the same these days. that's why i grow Paphs, for the variety of seed-grown plants.

Here's a photo of one of ours from a previous post back in the mists of antiquity. Unfortunately, it was a very poor grower and is no longer among the living, but I think it's worth remaking.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of one of ours from a previous post back in the mists of antiquity. Unfortunately, it was a very poor grower and is no longer among the living, but I think it's worth remaking.

Just curious, which parent did you use as the pod parent?

It would probably take 12-13 years for the Sacajawea's slippers to bloom in the first place and most of them will probably turn out to be pretty bad. Then another 10+ for the back-cross to bloom out. To Rose's point, that's a lot of bench space to dedicate almost a third of one's lifetime to. I would take sand out of the equation entirely and cross a great Delrosi back onto a roth or onto stonei. That would give you something truly worth waiting for.
But Orchid Boy, please don't let us dissuade you from your passion! If you find something that piques your interest, go for it! That's why we're all in this hobby in the first place.
Thank you Justin, my point exactly and I agree on your line of thinking, another possibility is Marilyn Hanson (dele x stonei). A phili is not a bad idea either, as they get to be blooming size in a reasonable time frame. Tom's pic is certainly MUCH improved & quite lovely. I could understand being tempted to use that one BUT as a breeder I don't think I could get past the 'very poor grower.' Maybe I've spent too many years breeding dogs, I want the best odds, I couldn't take a poor grower/performer and hope that my vigorous, healthy, athletic, performance dog could overcome that just because it had a couple of siblings that looked good. Potential buyers are interested in seeing both parents and I would definitely lose buyers if they saw a parent like that!

The parents were (delenatii 'Birchwood' x sanderianum 'Fox Valley' HCC/AOS). P. delenatii was the capsule parent and if I get to remake it, I'd use delenatii 'Birchwood' as the capsule parent again.

Latest posts

Back