Paph rungsuriyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooooo, Baby!
I have seen/heard about fake stickers on hangianum from China - Big scandal at 2008 WOC.
If you don't have papers for your plants, don't display them in public. Just a little advice.
I know who they came from.
I agree with you about the waste of effort by the Treaty.

I’m not sure I understand your post. These are flasked plants derived from material with CITES documentation. That makes them very legal.

This species has never been legally exported from the country of origin (Laos) with CITES. You can get them with CITES from Thailand, but without a paper trail from the country of origin that CITES is useless.
Unfortunately CITES does nothing to protect endangered plants. Plants were lumped in with animals when the treaty was created, despite the fact that we can artificially propagate thousands of plants from a couple specimens. Can't do that with white rhinos.
Hopefully someone will get caught smuggling them into the US someday and the plants will go to a rescue center. That's how we got legal Paph vietnamense and Paph helenae.
Dave

This species has never been legally exported from the country of origin (Laos) with CITES. You can get them with CITES from Thailand, but without a paper trail from the country of origin that CITES is useless.
Unfortunately CITES does nothing to protect endangered plants. Plants were lumped in with animals when the treaty was created, despite the fact that we can artificially propagate thousands of plants from a couple specimens. Can't do that with white rhinos.
Hopefully someone will get caught smuggling them into the US someday and the plants will go to a rescue center. That's how we got legal Paph vietnamense and Paph helenae.
Dave
If they can be made legal in US as a result of illegal import, would not the same apply for Thailand?

If they can be made legal in US as a result of illegal import, would not the same apply for Thailand?

They have to be seized by US Fish & Wildlife and sent to a certified rescue center. The plants produced at the rescue center are the ones that are legal.

Dave

It’s a small bark and perlite (50/50) with some sphagnum on top. I deflask them straight into this and put them out in the shade house. They’re perfectly fine with an Adelaide winter and rain. I water to the conditions, but usually daily in warm weather. Humidity is of course very low here being a dry climate. Same conditions as for micranthum and canhii, which grow right next to them.
Would not be much of a difference compared to NE Victoria. I just think our winters are a bit milder.

Yep, the only way I know of to make them legal is for someone to get into trouble.

It would seem the whole thing is just ridiculous. Everyone can make claims and none of them are verifiable. Even if someone had “papers”, there is no way for most people to check if they are fake or otherwise. The same goes for the claims above.

Latest posts

Back