Paph. rungsuriyanum primary crosses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What other species would you cross to Paph. rungsuriyanum

• Paph. rothschildianum

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Paph. hangianum

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Paph. micranthum

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Paph. niveum

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Paph. sukhakulii

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Paph. armeniacum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paph. delenatii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paph. sanderianum

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Paph. henryanum

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • other

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
Was there any left in the wild after this collection? It would be a good idea to collect a handfull of good ones then breed them instead of pulling up multiple full colonies

Collecting plants in Asian countries and Western countries are very different stories. A lot of people said that we have to keep them in wild but who can stay in the forest 24/24 to protect them? How many people from western come to Vietnam each year and buy them with a high price make people exploit them until they are extinct. Is that legal and protect them from extinction?

Nothing to do with east vs. west, it has to do with greedy, scumbag asshats who desire things they do not have rights to and it all trickles from there. The guy in Vietnam trying to feed his family is no more, no less, at fault for collecting the flower then the guy in Kansas buying it on Ebay!
Chicken vs egg.

The guy in Vietnam trying to feed his family is no more, no less, at fault for collecting the flower then the guy in Kansas buying it on Ebay!
Chicken vs egg.
:clap: Holla!

and I still vote for rung x tigrinum!

I have heard conflicting info... rungsuriyanum is illegal technically in the US correct?

Cheers to that Chad!

Ok, chicago chad have you ever heard of growing from seed and propagating? So that.....anybody with half a brain knows that once a whole population is uprooted, it is gone from that spot forever unless they regrow from thin air

Ok, chicago chad have you ever heard of growing from seed and propagating? So that.....anybody with half a brain knows that once a whole population is uprooted, it is gone from that spot forever unless they regrow from thin air

Really Troy?! If you want to insult me, please do it directly. Who do you think is propagating them anyways? If you didn't know. It's the same person who received that 'illegal' plant in the first place. Without his efforts, you will most likely never have one in the future. And yes, if I buy every single app 1 paph species on ebay than I certainly encourage the behavior and the stripping continues. Occasionally, a plant may make it out of that jungle that will eventually become a Walmart and perhaps, just perhaps, you may see its offspring. I sleep fine at night, so my behavior is not my concern. Your assumptions on my knowledge of both orchids and their impacts, are another matter.

And 'illegal' is all relative and a matter of both opinion and geography. The same can be said for cannabis, no?

What I'm saying is with a little bit of intellegance from the gatherers instead of stripping to extinction, propagate, the plants we have are from a source from the jungle far enough back. Yes I know, but it only takes a few plants or just one strong flowering plant to self it or propagate

What I'm saying is with a little bit of intellegance from the gatherers instead of stripping to extinction, propagate, the plants we have are from a source from the jungle far enough back. Yes I know, but it only takes a few plants or just one strong flowering plant to self it or propagate

I think I can accept that as an apology. :poke:

Perhaps you should also consider that the ones stripping the plants usually have no means of artificial propagation. That has and will involve, bending of the rules to incorporate facilities that can do such work. Stripping the jungle is not an acceptable bend. Removing a few pods, in my opinion, can always suffice.

I think I can accept that as an apology. :poke:

Perhaps you should also consider that the ones stripping the plants usually have no means of artificial propagation. That has and will involve, bending of the rules to incorporate facilities that can do such work. Stripping the jungle is not an acceptable bend. Removing a few pods, in my opinion, can always suffice.

I agree with all of your comment Chicago Chad.

I can tell you what has been made and we have plants of already or on the way in flask.

rungsuriyanum x maudiae
rungsuriyanum x leucochilum
rungsuriyanum x concolor
rungsuriyanum x ciliolare

I have also legally imported rungsuriyanum in flask several times in the last couple of years and we just bloomed the first from flask recently and others in spike. We tried to cross it to tigrinum, but it did not hold as we had a heatwave soon after and the pod aborted. I have documents and emails from CITES Australia to back my claim that my plants are legal.

Same goes for canhii as much as the exporting country might have changed its mind, it issued the permit and that sticks.. You cant undo a legal document. CITES Australia accepted the docs and said that much.

Now I am waiting on the first canhii's to bloom and I will try to cross it to a rothschildianum or something similar.

What is interesting is that canhii and rungsuriyanum nearly reach a mature plants leaf span in the flask. It is only that they are narrower. After deflasking, successive leaves get wider.

I can tell you what has been made and we have plants of already or on the way in flask.

rungsuriyanum x maudiae
rungsuriyanum x leucochilum
rungsuriyanum x concolor
rungsuriyanum x ciliolare

So interesting! I'm quite curious to see the results!
Did you use the rungsuriyanum as the pod parent every time?

Jealous. Would love to have one of these species.

You can undo legal documents. Read Orchid Fever.

Never read it. No desire to ever do so. ;)

To undo a legal document will depend how much money someone/a government wants to throw at the matter and whether or not the other country accepts the outcome. In this case, several countries are involved, and I don't think they will wan to waste the cash making lawyers richer. Sovereignty is a wonderful thing in that it lets one country flip the bird to another if it wants to ignore their wishes. :poke:

In my case, CITES in Thailand changed its mind and tried to recind my document. CITES in Australia as recent as January this year send me verifiable documentation that says they still hold that document as valid. In the sage words of Marsheila 'Tough Titties." It holds here and they are not gonna get it changed it would seem.

Not in bloom anymore, and I didnt take pics of the last one. When I bloom one again I will. But as a friend who helped import the last flasks shared some out, perhaps they will beat me to it as they are a much better grower than me :D

Frankly, the cats out of the bag, and that's what matters.

Last edited:
Back