Paph. rungsuriyanum (new species)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wonderful looking new species.

It was caught late and never made it to the internet publication. However, it will be updated on the printed journal. <snip>
??? Sounds to me like the publication was a rushed job.
And can one describe a new species twice with the same name, but having different characteristics?
=> No offence intended. Just wondering about the proceedings.

Rob Z.

From all the photos post, the flowers/plants seems to show very little variation. That is so cool. Now, where is the album one?

Very cool flower.

I didn't see type location or habitat.

Can we assume collected from areas with canhii?

"discovered from Laos' limestone mountains regions. Its have very small growth but very attractive flower. The leaves look very semilar to P. canhii."

A wonderful looking new species.

??? Sounds to me like the publication was a rushed job.
And can one describe a new species twice with the same name, but having different characteristics?
=> No offence intended. Just wondering about the proceedings.

Rob Z.

I wondered the same thing. Looked up the Melbourne Code and it would appear that unless the .pdf was labelled as a work in progress it stands as the first publication and can't be edited. But that might apply only to the *name* not the substance of the description itself. Who knows? Maybe enlightenment will follow. Maybe these things aren't tightly enforced. Again, no disrespect intended just trying to understand the process.

Montri- do you know how many of these were sold at the Paph meeting in Thailand? I saw that Hung Sheng picked one up.

I wondered the same thing. Looked up the Melbourne Code and it would appear that unless the .pdf was labelled as a work in progress it stands as the first publication and can't be edited. But that might apply only to the *name* not the substance of the description itself. Who knows? Maybe enlightenment will follow. Maybe these things aren't tightly enforced. Again, no disrespect intended just trying to understand the process.

There are some mistakes for the name just check the name at the begining in German and the name at the end in english, hésitation between mum and num

It is really interesting to read the discussion about the new species. When we started to prepare the description we had the same thoughts. We started with surprise and also enjoyment about this tiny beautiful flower. Then we thought about the possibility of a new species, variety or natural hybrid. But the flower was so extraordinary that it was only possible to describe it as a new species. The leaves gave us at first the possibility of a near relation to canhii, but the flower is too different. Also thoughts about possible parents gave no real answers. Crosses between micranthum and tigrinum, or canhii with tigrinum or other combinations could not bring the same result. Especially when you look to the staminode then you cannot find any similar one.

Abaut the validity of the Publishing in the net. We followed in our doing the actual Standard in the Changes to publication requirements made at the XVIII. When somebody is interested Then I could mail it.

Best greetings

Olaf

International Botanical Congress in Melbourne

In my answer just before I have forgotten 3 Points.
At first I have forgotten to Show Paph. canhii with ist exceptional staminode also. I t cannot be a parent of the new species.

Then about the Name. This description was for me and also the 3 Thai friends the first description in the net. So we learned that a mistake which you made not be correctable. I had written the article and used the Name with ----uriyamum. My friends corrected the Name in the now correctly used Name rungsuriyanum. I corrected the Name in my paper automatically but my Computer did not corrected 2 names. -- But in the part which is necessary for the decription always the correct Name with was used.

Olaf

Then the 3rd Point.
The description was ready. 2 hours before the description should go online, I get 2 perfect Pictures from Manote in Thailand which showed the 4 pollinia. I wopuld try to include these Pictures also. But it was too late.

Here the Pictures:

Now we have time to analyze more plants, if they have 2 or 4 pollinia and can include the result together with more Pictures in the printed Version.
But we cannot Change the latin or english Diagnose. This part is fixed by the Publishing in the net.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thank you for your input Olaf. I appreciate it. Have you any idea how the 4 pollinia arose? I looked online for articles on multiple pollinia in orchids and while there are a few I'm not sure if this indicates a more primitive form of paph or what. Is the multiple pollinia carried over into an increased count in other parts of the column or ovary too?

Last edited:
We need further analyze. But it is necessary at first to verify the pollinia and the structure around in analyzing more plants. This will be done in Thailand, so I hope.
I have heard that some taiwanes friends will start a genetic analyze too, then pperhaps we will get also more informations about the relationships.

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back