Paph. rungsuriyanum (new species)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for additional photos, eggshells! Any other behind-the-stage stories which you can share? Who are in the other competing party to describe this species? Polymorphic number of pollinia is interesting. In phal taxonomy, they used to make big deal out of it, but I think it is not such a constrained trait (I believe that it evolved multiple times if I remember it correctly).

I hope that it doesn't lead to the mass destruction again. But I guess that it is unfortunately unavoidable since it is such a nice-looking plant, and Laos doesn't seem to have a good track record in protecting/respecting the nature (well, it's not something I, who don't have to worry what to eat tonight, can complain). Here is some info about the state of Laos Orchid export in 2004.

Thank you Roland and Olaf for all the help.

That one still needs to be determined. At first, it looks like a parvi because of the leaves and petals but not quite when you look at the pouch.

Also this species is unique having four pollinias. (We thought that was a single plant anomaly but looking into the other clones, there are four) I can't recall any Paphiopedilum that displays this characteristics.

c2ureWi.jpg

EhnBl1D.jpg

You would have thought something as radically different as having 4 pollinia would be in the taxonomic description. However the authors say 2 pollinia. Why the difference?

You would have thought something as radically different as having 4 pollinia would be in the taxonomic description. However the authors say 2 pollinia. Why the difference?

It was caught late and never made it to the internet publication. However, it will be updated on the printed journal. I have just been told in fact that some flowers of some hybrids do this which start with 4 pollinia two on both sides. And as the flower ages, it returns to normal so we will see. Regardless, I will let you guys know.

Thank you very much for additional photos, eggshells! Any other behind-the-stage stories which you can share? Who are in the other competing party to describe this species? Polymorphic number of pollinia is interesting. In phal taxonomy, they used to make big deal out of it, but I think it is not such a constrained trait (I believe that it evolved multiple times if I remember it correctly).

I have no knowledge of the competing party that describe this. Sorry!

It was caught late and never made it to the internet publication. However, it will be updated on the printed journal. I have just been told in fact that some flowers of some hybrids do this which start with 4 pollinia two on both sides. And as the flower ages, it returns to normal so we will see. Regardless, I will let you guys know.

Thanks, and congrats on the find. May your flowering period increase exponentially

This has to be one of the highlight of the decade. I am intrigued to read the stories behind its discovery, introduction and propagation! Awesome!

Could it be the start of a new section in paph genus?
Canhii + the new one + others to be discover
What it is incredible is the fact may be others species might be mixed with canhii population and destroyed by the destruction of in situ populations...

May I post The new blooming Paph rungsuriyanum "sweety memories" not fully open NS 4.5cm

10418261_10202688359382904_9024604971854039823_n_zpsa2266e8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back