Paph rungsuriyanum & canhii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, holy cow, awesome...don't know what to say more. Congrats to The Link and Alex for growing these beauties. 👍 👌
To be honest, I expected seeing flowering plants which grow in collections not that early. Maybe I was a bit overslept expecting these plants much later for sale in nurseries.

That is what I thought, I don't think these 2 species are legal yet. The picture posted above (in a nursery), I have seen that picture before somewhere. I like Paph rungsuriyanum a lot but since it is not legal and a cool growing species, I will not be able to grow it anyway.....it is too bad....:(

How is it possible that I found rungs. crosses in an Orchid fair, wouldn't they be illegal, too?

The P. rungsuriyanum article by Olaf Gruss in the new issue of the AOS Bulletin describes the habitat temperatures as more 'intermediate' than 'cool' IMO: summer highs up to the mid-80s and winter lows to the mid-50s. I have read of growers outside the US successfully growing them much warmer than that.

Hoping they become legally available soon!

Unless you are in VN, no, you didn't.
NYEric, strange for you to contradict me on this, I most certainly did - at one of the two biggest orchid shows in the UK. I didn’t comment on the legality of that offering, which may be what you refer to. But I can assure you that’s exactly what happened. And not in Vietnam.

Or did you mean in the sense that the nursery couldn’t possibly be reputable?
I think, he finds that the nursery couldn't be reputable, unless of ill repute... as it might be difficult to find these species imported with the correct CITES-allowances and thus legal. But sometimes you, actually, see some rare species with the correct paperwork done, God knows how?
On the other hand: I don't think many of species in trade (except those from a pre-CITES lineage), that we accept without difficulties, might really hold up for scrutiny. The plants, we have, might clearly have been grown from seed in a nursery. But - I might have got this wrong - I think, the nursery owner, that sold it to us, should be able to produce evidence, that the parent(s) of the plant is (are) legit and not jungle collected?

Last edited:
Back