Paph. Royal Sapphire etc.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
I’m a little regretful I didn’t post this before the last painting out of respect to the hybridizer (since I finished it a couple of months ago), but I haven’t been able to come to grips with the fact that I can’t get the color as perfect as I’d like in the scan. The colors in the flower are slightly more cool in the actual painting, but the background is warmer—my good scanner died on me, so this is the best I can do for now!

Anyway, it’s artistic license taken with Drorchid's creation…with his permission of course!

paphroyalsapphire.jpg

Here are the two other paintings I’ve done inspired by Robert’s hybrids:

(Phrag. Pink Panther)

phragpinkpanther.jpg

(Phrag. St. Ouen)

phrag%20st.%20ouen.jpg

Thanks, guys!

I suspect a lot of it has to do with whether your tastes run toward my version of illustrational or a little more painterly...or, even subconsciously, which subject you like more. I could sniff at the latter method of evaluation, but I'd be a hypocrite since that's how I choose what to paint unless a commission is involved. Even then I respectfully decline if it's not to my taste because it just won't turn out well--my time being better spent on something I'm excited about since people will see that I was into it and buy that too, eventually!

Well, I think your Paph. Royal Sapphire turned out great! :clap::clap::clap:

I agree, that is a difficult color to capture. It is even difficult to take a photo of that hybrid, without getting the color right.

Robert

Thanks, Robert! If it makes you feel any better though, the blossom’s colors are much truer to your references in person. There’s just something about that color range that’s a scanning nightmare—that and bluish-greens. I could have gotten the actual painting even closer as well had I gone with less lightfast pigments. It’s “close enough for government work” though…all about effect unless you’re trying to make a record of it in the jungle, and we’ve got photography for that now.

Latest posts

Back