Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
This is my roths (Janet FCC/AOS x Western Springs AM/AOS) flowering for the first time. In fact it is the first time I have ever seen a roths in flower. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit dissappointed. The first flower is barely out of the sheath, has a dorsal that is folded, a busted right shoulder and the flowers are marginally bigger than my druryii. I'm pretty happy with the photos though.

I do get an incredible amount of deformities from first flowerings especially amongst the multiflorals. But they always come good the next flowering. Hopefully this will be better next time.

David

rothscloseup.jpg

roths-2.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful photo is right! :D I had a folded dorsal on a second blooming of one of my Paphs.- It is frustrating when that happens. :( Your plant looks gorgeous. Nice job! :clap:

you sure know how to make them look pretty... after your description, i was looking forward to seeing Quasimodo!

David, the plant is small and the top flower is fine. Hey, you flowered a roth, I'd like a dollar for every Paph grower in Australia that would their (%^%*) just flower one. Just get that new growth rocking !!!!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit dissappointed. The first flower is barely out of the sheath,

You have not to be dissappointed ! Just tell you, i've got a wild form ! Next flowering will be better

Hey I could be happy it bloom! A lot of roths wait for multi growths before blooming.....which means years! Great foto

For crying out loud! Cut it out! WAY TO PICKY! I think you're being too critical for a first time bloom. As Roy said the plant is small & by god it flowered! Try focusing on what's good - nice color, clear, defined lines in the dorsal, petals & synsepal!
The photos are lovely, keep it up David!

I think it's fine to have a critical eye when you're looking at your plants. Especially if bench space is a concern. I agree, nice photo and at least you got 2 blooms. My first bloom roth only had one. And then it had the nerve to croak!

you sure know how to make them look pretty... after your description, i was looking forward to seeing Quasimodo!

:rollhappy::rollhappy: Without Notre-Dame cathedral background, Quasimodo looks pretty good!!! I would be lucky to have one of these .. flowering!! Jean

David, the plant is small and the top flower is fine. Hey, you flowered a roth, I'd like a dollar for every Paph grower in Australia that would their (%^%*) just flower one. Just get that new growth rocking !!!!

You are right about that Roy. I can go to my grave a happy man. I flowered a roth. One of my goals ticked off. :)

It is just one of those things. You wait all those years to flower it, you see it in bud, the big build up of anticipation and it doesn't quite work out the way you like. And you know it is at least another 3 to 4 years before it will flower again. Growing multiflorals can test your character a bit.

David

...I can go to my grave a happy man. I flowered a roth. One of my goals ticked off. :)

That's the only thing that counts !!! :)

It is just one of those things. You wait all those years to flower it, you see it in bud, the big build up of anticipation and it doesn't quite work out the way you like. And you know it is at least another 3 to 4 years before it will flower again. Growing multiflorals can test your character a bit....

That's absolutely true, growing multiflorals makes you become a patient guy!!
But as others wrote already before the upper flower looks absolutely immaculate, good coloration, good stance, no distortion. It gives you a good outlook how all flowers surely will be with the next flowering.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

David,

Congrats on blooming your roth! I have a question for all of you now, though.

I bought a seedling labeled (roth x tigrinum) several years back. It finally spiked after 3 years, and I was so excited to see what it would look like. I certainly had mixed emotions when it bloomed, however, since for the life of me I couldn't see any evidence of tigrinum in it. It did look like it had mostly roth in the background. My question is, could this be a pure roth and not a hybrid?
Paph_noid1.jpg

Mike

David,

Congrats on blooming your roth! I have a question for all of you now, though.

I bought a seedling labeled (roth x tigrinum) several years back. It finally spiked after 3 years, and I was so excited to see what it would look like. I certainly had mixed emotions when it bloomed, however, since for the life of me I couldn't see any evidence of tigrinum in it. It did look like it had mostly roth in the background. My question is, could this be a pure roth and not a hybrid?

Mike[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike

There is definately no tigrinum in it. It is a hybrid. Susan Booth I think which is roths x praestans. Very nice too. I like the dark pouch.

It is dissappointing though when the flowers don't turn out to be what you buy. Still it could have been a lot worse. Susan Booth is a great hybrid.

David

David, that is actually nice for a first bloom seedling. It can improve dramatically on subsequent bloomings.

A little about rothschildianum 'Janet' FCC/AOS - Hien -correct me if I'm wrong, I am writiing from memory again - and this can get into the realm of "Vague but True". This clone is from Janet and Lee Kuhn, the original founders of J & L Orchids way back in the 1960's. The clone was one of the jungle collected rothschildianums that came in as part of the Collinette Expedition that re-discovered Paph rothschildianum in the wild on Mtn Kinabalu, Sabah. (she also brought back Vireya Rhododendrums & Nepenthe)It is a vigorous clone, the Kuhns received an CCM on their original plant back in the early 1970's, it sends up new growths forming a colony fairly easily. The first award was under the name elliotianum, but it was re-exhibited later as rothschildianum when it got its FCC.

The natural spread of Janet, depending on culture still runs right up there into the range of natural spreads for FCC awards granted in the 1995 - 2000 bracket - so the flower on Janet is still big enough for awards. The three principal reasons 'Janet' has been falling out of favor is that the petals and dorsal sepal are a bit narrow for todays FCC standards. A second reason 'Janet' is falling out of favor is the over production of the cross ('Janet' x 'Chester Hills') which was a inferior pairing of parents, that did not produce many award winners. They kept selling the same cross for over a decade, the resulting seedlings giving the impression that 'Janet' was a bad breeder. There are thousands of seedlings from this cross out there.

In addition, the third reason, in 1993-1996 a different grower than the one referred to above, this one being in the mid-west, took some mediocre rothschildianum seedlings, labeled them as divisions of 'Janet', and sold them in the mid-west USA at high $$$ to make a few bucks. So, if you got your division of Janet from Lee & Janet Kuhn, you have the real 'Janet', if you got your division 'Janet' before 1993, you probably have the real 'Janet', if you got your division later - maybe yes, maybe no. Some of the impostor 'Janet' clones have been used as breeders, and as you imagine, they also lent to the belief that 'Janet" is not a good breeder.

So in the end, rothschildianum "Janet' is a fine parent when paired carefully with a rothschildianum that has wider segments. 'Janet' will bring vigor, ease of bloom induction and good natural spread to the table, the other parent needs to be chosen to improve petal width, and brighten the colors. It being a jungle collected plant represents the 'wild type' for rothschildianum, and is valuable for that reason also.

Why would I care enough to remember all this? I bought a division of 'Janet' in 1990, and someday I may want to sell a division. I can trace my division to the Kuhn's, but I no longer have the receipts. The great thing is, once one sees a good blooming on a well grown division of 'Janet', one will not doubt why it was awarded the FCC it has. It is so much nicer in person than its award photos in the old AQ's.

You are right about that Roy. I can go to my grave a happy man. I flowered a roth. One of my goals ticked off. :)

It is just one of those things. You wait all those years to flower it, you see it in bud, the big build up of anticipation and it doesn't quite work out the way you like. And you know it is at least another 3 to 4 years before it will flower again. Growing multiflorals can test your character a bit.

David

I have had thousands of potential FCC awardable plants in bud, I don't have any FCC certificates hanging on the wall. Who said patience is a virtue? :mad:

^ ^

Thanks, Leo, for the history lesson. Information such as this is what I reallly love about this forum! Where else would one learn such things? But now I have a question for you. I've seen the 'Janet' x 'Chester Hills' cross available from Carter and Holmes Orchids. They still offer it, I think. I've often thought of purchasing one of them since I don't have a pure roth in my collection. Would you recommend it or recommend against it? I value your opinion.

Best Regards,
Nik

Edited to add: I notice that Krull-Smith has some very nice roth seedlings too. Would that be a better choice?

Thanks Leo for the positive feedback and interesting history lesson. It does seem to be a good grower. More vigorous then my other roths. To be honest this would be the most important trait for me. Ease of growth.

Am I correct in saying Janet is the first roths to get an FCC award. I remember reading that somewhere.

You say Janet and Chester Hills are not a great matchup. Do you know anything about the roths clone "Western Springs" AM/AOS and its compatability with Janet. Can't say I have heard of it myself. There is a few of this cross around in Australia. I have another one as well but a lot smaller.

A fellow Paph grower here in Canberra supposedly has a division of Janet he got from the big Paph nursery in NZ and paid quite a bit for it. I don't even know if he has flowered it. Maybe once but I haven't seen it. He has had it for years and the plant is huge. Just grows and grows but seems reluctant to flower.

David

Latest posts

Back