Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barely bigger than your druryii??

I'd hate to get measured by your ruler David:poke::poke:

It looks like a fine flower for a 1st time blooming roth.

Barely bigger than your druryii??

I'd hate to get measured by your ruler David:poke::poke:

It looks like a fine flower for a 1st time blooming roth.

My mother told me a million times never to exaggerate. :)

I have a couple of roth primaries open at the moment which are considerably bigger than the roth itself. But as everyone keeps sensibly saying, you can't really judge it till its 2nd or 3rd flowering. Fingers crossed I can get it to that stage.

David

Hey I could be happy it bloom! A lot of roths wait for multi growths before blooming.....which means years! Great foto

Rick - I have found with these multis that I am better off in the long run to have flowering delayed and the plant grow into a sizeable clump before it first flowers. All my best and most reliable plants are those that have done this. They are much more vigorous and flower much quicker and better. I find that those that flower early such as this roths are a bit of a battle to grow on after flowering and can take many years to flower again. It is like they are in permanent seedling mode.

David

I've seen the 'Janet' x 'Chester Hills' cross available from Carter and Holmes Orchids. They still offer it, I think. I've often thought of purchasing one of them since I don't have a pure roth in my collection. Would you recommend it or recommend against it?
Nik
I've seen a couple, the background color is a nice rich yellow, the markings are fairly rich dark brown, they are pleasing to the eye. If you just want a rothschidianum to grow & bloom, they are not too expensive. If you are looking for potential awards, more into the competitive aspect of growing, buy from Krull-Smith, Orchid Inn, or Orchid Zone through one of the California Retailers.

Thanks Leo for the positive feedback and interesting history lesson. It does seem to be a good grower. More vigorous then my other roths. To be honest this would be the most important trait for me. Ease of growth.
Am I correct in saying Janet is the first roths to get an FCC award. I remember reading that somewhere. David

I don't think so, but I don't know. Someone from the judging system could answer this with AOS - AQ on DVD, or WildCatt?

You say Janet and Chester Hills are not a great matchup. Do you know anything about the roths clone "Western Springs" AM/AOS and its compatability with Janet. Can't say I have heard of it myself. There is a few of this cross around in Australia. I have another one as well but a lot smaller.
I don't know the clone 'Western Springs' at all, perhaps Hien does?

A fellow Paph grower here in Canberra supposedly has a division of Janet he got from the big Paph nursery in NZ and paid quite a bit for it. I don't even know if he has flowered it. Maybe once but I haven't seen it. He has had it for years and the plant is huge. Just grows and grows but seems reluctant to flower.
David
Well, it is good that his plant is huge, when he does flower it, the comparison to the award photo won't have the issue of being a distressed one or two growth blooming. They should compare favorably. There will never be any way to be absolutely certain, but there are photos around of the original 'Janet', if the measurements match the award description within a centimeter or two on lengths and a millimeter or two on widths, and the 'look' is similar to the photos, it likely is the real deal. But how different is enough to say they are not? Different growing environments will change the look of the flower some, so like I said, it will be impossible to be certain that one has the real deal. I would NOT go to your friend and tell him he doesn't really have 'Janet', that would be wrong. Just keep my tale in mind, and if he is disappointed with his division of 'Janet' when it blooms, you might offer up my tale as a possible explaination. - Leo

Nice first bloom flower. Great post as well. I have several roths and one is the mentioned cross 'Janet' x 'Chester Hills'. It has bloomed and I was happy with it but will reserve judgement on it until it blooms a second time. I do have several Orchid Inn crosses and am really looking forward to seeing those flower....in another 3-4 years. I also have 'Commander' x self and it is a smaller growing plant with a somewhat smallish flower. Very vigorous though!

Hi Mike

There is definately no tigrinum in it. It is a hybrid. Susan Booth I think which is roths x praestans. Very nice too. I like the dark pouch.

It is dissappointing though when the flowers don't turn out to be what you buy. Still it could have been a lot worse. Susan Booth is a great hybrid.

David

I agree! Looks like Paph. Susan Booth.

Ramon:)

Good job and a nice bloom that will surely improve on a much bigger plant!! ;-)

I'm waiting (very excited!!) for my first 2 roths to bloom, soon now (normally in spring). one was deflasked spring 2005, the other was bougth 18 months ago as... a young plant (knight challenge SM/JPG x Titanic GM/JPG!! lol)
The latest crosses are much faster and easier to grow than old ones.

Latest posts

Back