Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

Well, I'm playing around with a new lens, and thought I'd take a minute to post a couple of the experiments. This lens (Nikon 105mm f2.8 micro) is sharpest at f8 according to the tests I've seen published, so I took these photos as f8. However, I think that for web purposes, the extra depth of field from a smaller aperture would really help a lot more... so I'm going to try again tomorrow at f16 , 22 and 32.

Anyway....

paph-rothschildianum1a.jpg

paph-rothschildianum1b.jpg

paph-rothschildianum1c.jpg

The plant is a very scraggly import that has no business blooming right now... it only has one mature growth and only two good leaves on it. As a result, I got this single bloom on the spike, and not the greatest form :)

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Argh.... I see that my colors are not saving properly :( The pouch is actually a pretty bright red. Looks like I need to figure out my color settings in photoshop again.

- Matt

Watch out for those scraggly roths. I received one and it decided to spike on a single small/med. growth. I let it bloom and it promptly died. $85 down the toilet.

I just got a new slr and have to invest in a macro lens. Ouch, they're expensive.

Well, I'm playing around with a new lens, and thought I'd take a minute to post a couple of the experiments. This lens (Nikon 105mm f2.8 micro) is sharpest at f8 according to the tests I've seen published, so I took these photos as f8. However, I think that for web purposes, the extra depth of field from a smaller aperture would really help a lot more... so I'm going to try again tomorrow at f16 , 22 and 32.
That's referring to the plane of sharp focus, not the over-all sharpness as per D/F -- but you knew that.

Right, I was talking about the resolution of the lens being diffraction limited after f8, but I guess I didn't make that especially clear :) Since this is just going to be web published, the resolution isn't a big deal... so I thought that the depth of field would be more important.

Anyway, it turns out that I don't have time to take more photos tonight anyway... guess it will be tomorrow :)

- Matt

I love my old Nikon 55mm micro lens (film camera) but now that I'm primarily using digital I need to invest in a new macro lens. I'm interested in your results with your new lens. What did you take the pics of your tigrinum with because those are fantastic.

Back