Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice spacing and overall presentation, although I tend to prefer roths staked so the stem is perfectly straight. Is this one of the Chester Hills crosses? What’s the NS? The plant looks pretty compact for a roth, or is that an optical illusion?

Yeah definitely the Chester Hill x Red Baron cross. Very similar to the bunch I have bloomed. They actually are pretty nice, just not the modern style. So far the max number of flowers I have gotten is four.

This one is quite good, and should be even better next time.

Yeah definitely the Chester Hill x Red Baron cross. Very similar to the bunch I have bloomed. They actually are pretty nice, just not the modern style. So far the max number of flowers I have gotten is four.

This one is quite good, and should be even better next time.
Actually its Wide Horzon x Chester Hill

Ah interesting I didnt even know that was one of the crosses. Still see that CH influence. BTW the 'Chester Hill' parent used was supposedly a clone of ('Chester Hill' x 'Rex'), which after blooming out several I believe to be true.

Actually its Wide Horzon x Chester Hill
Nice! I have one of these with a mature growth and a 2/3 sized start that I’m trying to coax into blooming. It’s currently spending nights in front of an open window to see if a blast of cold air will do the trick. You don’t seem to have any issues blooming yours, congrats!

Ah interesting I didnt even know that was one of the crosses. Still see that CH influence. BTW the 'Chester Hill' parent used was supposedly a clone of ('Chester Hill' x 'Rex'), which after blooming out several I believe to be true.
Interesting, I remember seeing something at some point about their ‘CH’ being a select selfing? Do you see Rex in the size, or the yellow undertones?

Interesting, I remember seeing something at some point about their ‘CH’ being a select selfing? Do you see Rex in the size, or the yellow undertones?

Yellow color but also the shape of the dorsal, which is very 'Rex' like to my eyes.

But keep in mind this was just secondhand information from Dean Hung of Paphiness many years ago when he was active and visited OZ regularly.

Straight spike is mainly due to the fact that these are grown in the nursery with light coming in from directly above the plants plus staking of inflorescence under cultivation. I've seen photos of roth and stonei in situ and the spikes were in angle, which is only natural because they grow on the slope or near vertical surface and the spikes seem to grow perpendicular to the growing surface.

Latest posts

Back