Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This plant has not done real well. Possibly when I first purchased, and my own lack of knowledge hindered it from the beginning. But I have quite a few other Roth’s that are doing very well, this particular clone has been picky (For me). (Fine Five x Atticus AM/AOS, B/WOC). This is also the second time this “low flower” phenomenon has occurred. The other is a MK I also put photos of on here. All orchids are outside over the summer and before bringing them in I clean them up with Orthene. Any thoughts on that causing the low flower issue? Petal spread is about as wide as the leaf spread...25 cm. There are two other starts growing and looking happy, I cut the bloom spike after these photos.293223D0-A214-42AE-8277-99A34DAF9880.jpeg0375E17E-D0B6-434A-AE89-A29790CE27A8.jpeg

It certainly has small leaves. I have a seedling Roth that's not much smaller leaved! Good flowers though - be a great display when/if it gets bigger.

It certainly has small leaves. I have a seedling Roth that's not much smaller leaved! Good flowers though - be a great display when/if it gets bigger.
It actually set a low bud this past March, and it didn’t grow or develop. The two smaller growths are getting bigger, but the main plant quit growing after it set the bud, then surprisingly 9 months later it sent up a spike!

You might be possession of the newest breeding line of compact roths that I've seen in Asia.

The line was produced to reduce the footprint on normal good size flower. Yours seems to be doing this. Let's see how it maintains next couple years.

I hope it keeps small lol.

It is just a small plant that probably needs a few more years to get its feet under it. On the other hand some seedlings just never have the vigor of their sibs. The fact that you got three big flowers on such a small plant is remarkable.

Last edited:
It is just a small plant that probably needs a few more years to get its feet under it. On the other hand some seedlings just never have the vigor of their sibs. The fact that you got three big flowers on such a small plant is remarkable.
I purchased it as a seedling in 2017, it just has not thrived...it is a highly touted clone by Sam. I’m looking forward to the new growths maturing.

It is truly remarkable that this plant could produce such three large flowers. Imagine what a large clump will produce. Maybe the photo is deceptive but the growth doesn't look bigger than my hand.

Latest posts

Back