Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphman910

Reaction score
Do you have pictures of Paph rothschildianum flowers that you listed that you can post?

It would love to see pictures of them as I am totally jealous of you roths!

Paphman910

Paphman910 said:
Do you have pictures of Paph rothschildianum flowers that you listed that you can post?

It would love to see pictures of them as I am totally jealous of you roths!

Paphman910

Unfortunately, most of the divisions I got within the last year or two so they haven't bloomed.

However, here is a photo of one of my best roths, 'Canadian Club'. I didn't bloom the plant, but it was it was in bloom when I got it. This was taken at the Japan Grand Prix.

cc.jpg

cc2.jpg

Wow! I totally jumped out of my seat when I saw a picture of your 'Canadian Club'. Is it a sibling from 'Val' x 'Mont Millais' cross?

Paphman910

Paphman910 said:
Wow! I totally jumped out of my seat when I saw a picture of your 'Canadian Club'. Is it a sibling from 'Val' x 'Mont Millais' cross?

Paphman910

Yup, it is from 'Val' x 'MM'. I also bought a division of 'Perfection' FCC/AOS which is also from 'Val' x 'MM' which is even better (just a tad better!). however, the division's not ready until next year, so i probably won't receive it until this time next year :( They're both from the Tokyo Orchid Nursery.

Also, 'Sam's Choice' is also from 'Val' x 'MM'.

I believe Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Choice' is actually 'Rex' x 'Mont Millais' and not 'Val' x 'Mont Millais'

Paphman910

Paphman910 said:
I believe Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Choice' is actually 'Rex' x 'Mont Millais' and not 'Val' x 'Mont Millais'

Paphman910

Nope.

This is from Sam:

"I do a small single growth division of ‘Sam’s Choice’ which is bred from MM x Val. This clone has exception dark color even the base color (background) is light brown instead of creamy white or creamy yellow of most of the roth. It is not a huge flower though. I believe it has 6cm x 6.5 dorsal and 29cm NS with 4 flowers"

Thanks for the information because I have bought a flask of Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Choice' x 'Eureka' two years ago. He may have made a mistake on the parentage of Sam's Choice.

Paphman910

Paphman910 said:
Thanks for the information because I have bought a flask of Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Choice' x 'Eureka' two years ago. He may have made a mistake on the parentage of Sam's Choice.

Paphman910

That's why he called it "Sam's Choice". Despite the smaller size, he choose this one for breeding because it's a very dark clone, which is typical of Val x MM.

Here is what he says about it:

"As you can tell, it is not a huge flower as compare to today standard. For a breeder, we only need one or two special characteristic and it is worth to use for breeding. There will be a % of the seedlings will carry the best from both parents. This time Sam’s Choice’s color is more important for me. This plant never be judged and personally it is a little too small based on today standard."

By the way, I gave him some pollen from Canadian Club and he's got it on 'Rex', 'Sam's Choice' and several others I can't remember now.

Paphman910 said:
What about Paph rothschildianum 'Scorpio King'?

Paphman910

That's also from the Toyko Orchid Nursery, and is Val x MM. Very interesting story behind Scorpio King actually as no one knows what that clone is anymore.

Sam got the pollen when TON brought it as a cut flower to WOC (forget which one). They brought 4 different clones and asked Sam which they should put in the display. Sam recommended SK but they decided not to put it in the display and gave him the spike with the flowers. He gave it the name Scorpio King, but that was not actually what TON had labelled it as. In fact, they just had a code on it. That code was lost so now, no one is sure which plant it actually came from. However, it's one of their darkest clone so it most probably came from 'Titanic' which was recently awarded by the AOS.

I have photos of the Scorpio King before Sam harvested the pollen, as well as 'Titanic'.

I'll have to dig around for them.

I also have a photo of the 'Perfection' taken at the greenhouses of TON in March as well as several other clones. According to TON, 'Perfection' is their best roth.

Paphman910 said:
I have asked Sam about 'Perfection' and he said 'Perfection' is not their best.

Paphman910

That was probably before he saw it! He said the same thing to me in January when I showed him photos of it. When he saw it in person when he was out there for the Japan Grand Prix, he admitted, that it was!

a couple pictures of roths 'Perfection' taken from a cut stem at the 2004 NY show. darkest roths I've ever seen thus far, and awarded an FCC. Tokyo Orchids' display knocked my socks off, with another very nice roths 'Moonlight' (the 3rd and 4th photos), an enormous white complex, and a huge vini, among others. suffice to say that the NY show has been all downhill since from a slipper standpoint (it sucked this year for paphs/phrags).

'Perfection'
Paph.%20rothschildianum%20'Perfection'%20FCC-AOS%20(1).JPG

Paph.%20rothschildianum%20'Perfection'%20FCC-AOS%20(2).JPG

'Moonlight'
Paph.%20rothschildianum%20'Moonlight'%20(1).JPG

Paph.%20rothschildianum%20'Moonlight'%20(2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Paphman910 said:
I have asked Sam about 'Perfection' and he said 'Perfection' is not their best.

Paphman910

This was his response when I showed photos of it to him in January:

"This is from Tokyo Orchid Nursery. I I am sure the division is available for sale. I don’t think it is one of the best he has!"

Then after JPG:

"I have visited Tokyo Orchid Nursery today and saw about 100 roth of the selected Val x MM in bloom. I finally saw the “Perfection” GM, FCC in bloom in person. It has great form and color! It is no doubt the best I have seen."

And this is from Sam, relaying a message from TON about it:

"He sold the first division of the “Perfection” for 1,500.000 yen. He said he wants the same amount because there are two nurseries in Taiwan also want the division. He considers it is the best he has."

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a photo of Scorpio King. This was taken as a cut flower stem, a week after it was originally cut.

These photos are from Sam.

rothsk1.jpg

rothsk2.jpg

rothsk3.jpg

lienluu said:
"He sold the first division of the “Perfection” for 1,500.000 yen..."

Holey Moley.... and this is why I just buy the baby Roth!

Wonderful collection and very Roth heavy... so, if you ever feel like offloading to even things out... :poke:

The only thing I would quibble over is the lack of philippinense... what gives?

I have the same pictures of Paph rothschildianum 'Scorpio King' and they are very dark. I tried selling plants of Paph rothschildianum 'Powerhouse' x 'Scorpio King' at my society for a dirt cheap price of $20 for a six inch plant and not even a plant was sold....I guess I am very lucky none got sold as the parents are very beautiful.

Paphman910

Latest posts

Back