Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are probably growing at around 1000-1500 foot candles. Have gotten most roths to bloom with 4-5 flowers. I may move one into higher light to see if it is darker on the next blooming. I was not aware of this.

I have heard of roths with 7 flowers. Has anyone actually seen one or have a pic? Anyone have a pic with 6??? Terry said he has bloomed thousands and none have had more than 6.

I have never seen one with 7 flowers. I heard of 7 flowers but this could just be an exaggeration by the exporter. I have heard from a well known Paph rothschildianum grower in the US emailed me that the exporter said the plant can have 6-7 flowers with a natural span on the flowers to be 40+ cm. He has yet to flower the plant with 40+ cm. The other two roth he got from the same exporter did not flower to that size so it is very doubtful the exporter is telling the truth.

Personally I have asked an AOS judge about this information and he has not seen that many flowers on a rothschildianum let alone the 40+ cm flower size.

Paphman910

I wonder what size flowers you would get from some of the newer crosses if one allows them to grow to specimen size. I remember reading about an ad a loooong time ago, for a specimen clump of roths, with natural spread in the 15-16" range. I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility if some of these finer clones were allowed to grow to CCM size (a difficult proposition given how much a growth would fetch).

My roth is in the brightest part of the GH that can run in the 2000 to 3000fc range.

This is the first time it flowered with 1 adult growth (maybe as old as 10 years) and a couple of very young second growths.

I got it about 2 years ago as an abused, almost rootless plant.

Heather said:
I have a tiny new start on that roth., Jason.
My rothschildianum and philippinense are always the plants in my house that are in the highest lit areas.

on track for a spike next summer maybe?

Latest posts

Back