Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi paphioland:

Beautiful Paph rothschildianum flowers. I am delighted to see the 'Rex' x 'Mont Millais' cross from orchid zone. They are very big and dark. If you live in Canada, it is not a problem.

Paphman910

Heather said:
May I just say...?

When a roth of mine blooms, I think I will just DIE!
:sob:

It is fitting they are so slow to bloom. The anticipation has time to build, and build.

And build...

and build....

and build.......

and....

build....

&...

I take it you haven't bloomed that roth from Sherwood yet? (still waiting on mine as well, this @#^@ thing has been "blooming size" for at least 2 years)

Jmoney said:
I take it you haven't bloomed that roth from Sherwood yet? (still waiting on mine as well, this @#^@ thing has been "blooming size" for at least 2 years)

Ding! Ding! Ding! Nice guess, Jason! Does yours have a new growth yet? I've still just got that one stupid fan. Stupid plant. :mad:

I have two other blooming size ones as well, one a 3+ growth division from Sherwood as well. Nothing happening there either. Sigh...

yep, still one growth, no start. light isn't the trick, this one is light green already and seems ready to FRY if I move it any closer to the window during the summer. the winter, however, might be a good time to blast it with light and a cold draft...

Jmoney said:
yep, still one growth, no start. light isn't the trick, this one is light green already and seems ready to FRY if I move it any closer to the window during the summer. the winter, however, might be a good time to blast it with light and a cold draft...

Well, I guess I'm glad to hear that we are both in the same boat. If you had a multi-growth mature roth. by this point, I'd think I was doing something wrong. :)

I treat mine the same, and it is also light green in color.
I am planning on going the cold draft treatment myself this autumn.

If the rothschildianum 'Rex' x 'Mont Millais' is one growth and I think the cross was made in the late 90's (probably 1997) then you may have a very slow grower or a runt.

Paphman910

If the rothschildianum is about 3-4 inches how many years will it take it to bloom?

It will take you about 5-7 years to bloom a seedling that is 3-4 inch leafspan. My Paph rothschildianum that was 8" ls took me 4 years to bloom. It bloomed on 1.5 growths.

Paphman910

If the seedlings are about 3-4 inch leafspan keep the minimum temperature at least 70 F at night and give them constant light 12 hours a day year round. The light level should be bright enough to grow Phalenopsis.

Paphman910

Paph rothschildianum are slow to mature and bloom. Anyone older than Jon-in-SW-Ohio is too old to start a line breeding program for rothschildianum. :poke: Myself, being over 50 fully intend to live long enough to see my seedlings bloom, but realistically, it does take at least 5 years, usually more like 7 years to bring a seedling to bloom from flask. I know of a single seedling, from a flask that bloomed only 3 years from flask. The other seedlings from the same flask took the standard 5 to 9 years. Unfortunately that one seedling did not survive. Itss owner had a medical problem, and it perished.
I intend to beat the odds,
Leo

Breeding program... Sounds good. Sounds interesting. Today I've found all my flasks contaminated. It was my third attempt. I'm experimenting with phalaenopsis stalk, not the paph seeds. So I'm not too upset. At least I didn't waste the precious seeds.

hello Shadow,

If you want to start a new thread or PM me questions about flasking, I would be happy to answer, as would others on this board.

I have experience flasking with a pretty primative set up, including paphs from seed. Your problem sounds like its with your disinfection, however phal stems are typically more difficult to disinfect becasue they spend months exposed to pathogens in the environment.

Kyle

If you can find a used hood from a lab with ultraviolet light helps ALOT!

Heather said:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Nice guess, Jason! Does yours have a new growth yet? I've still just got that one stupid fan. Stupid plant. :mad:

I have two other blooming size ones as well, one a 3+ growth division from Sherwood as well. Nothing happening there either. Sigh...

My roths bloom with one large growth and a medium size growth. I don't give my roths that much light and they do well. Have to be pt. There is a huge variation between each individual plant.I think humidity is really important with blooming roths. If you can get the humidity to 80% with good air movement will speed up the process.

Ken

I think I read something from Antec about growing Paphs in diatomite alone!? I have about 30 Paphs and if this works for them I will repot them all. Anyone know about it? E.

How much light do you grow yours under? I have mine at about 1500 to 2000 footcandles. Is that too much?

It should be fine for roths that are 12+ inch leafspan in the light level that you mentioned. The brighter light seems make the roths flower on a single mature growth and a new growth that is half mature. Not only that you get more flowers and darker colors.

Paphman910

Back