Paph rothschildianum 'Western Springs' BM/CSA x 'Janet' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the color also.

I just followed that link to the vigorous clone.
Yes, the dorsal is too weak, but this one has a nice chunky shape.

Oh, well...can't be perfect, right? :)

I would be happy to see this kind of outcome after waiting for 8years!!!
Did it put out one leaf per year or something? lol

I love the color also.

I just followed that link to the vigorous clone.
Yes, the dorsal is too weak, but this one has a nice chunky shape.

Oh, well...can't be perfect, right? :)

I would be happy to see this kind of outcome after waiting for 8years!!!
Did it put out one leaf per year or something? lol

Yes, this one has a much rounder dorsal and a chunkier shape.

When I bought the other clone the plant was basically FS. I bought this plant a few years later and it was quite small (maybe 30 cm across). Part of the delay was probably poor culture by me. For about 3 years it barely grew in size. But once I got the culture right it suddenly started to grow steadily. You can get some great variation in flowering times within a flask. The fastest can flower within 4 years while the slowest can take more than 10 years. I think I have one of each.

I have another roth that I bought as a tiny seedling just out of a flask about 13 years ago. It was one of the first orchids I ever bought. I didn't have a greenhouse so I just grew it on the windowsill. I think for the first 8 years it didn't grow at all. But it has taken off in the last 5 years. Still I expect it is still 3 or so years from flowering. :)

Oh, wow~ You have one that's 13 years old and that is still not of flowering size! I applaud your patience. I would have given up long ago. lol

Then, again, it's your first orchid, so that makes it special.
I wish you a great outcome on that plant for such a long wait.

How long have you had your Greenhouse? last five years?

I really can't imagine keeping something that does not grow for 8 years!
I just threw away Ho Chi Minh that was not doing anything for one year. lol
I now have two that are very vigorous. :)

Another recent toss was rather a big disappointment since it is something rare, at least compared to HCM.
It's In Charm Handel x hangianum. It did not do anything but it also looked like it was not so well. I lost my patience and checked the roots. Well, there were not any. :( I had no choice but to discard.
Now I cannot replace that one. Oh, well...

I do have a bunch of roth x parvi/brachy hybrids and I intend to keep them around for as long as possible though. Some look like they are spiking, but will see. It will be a real test of my patience. :D

Ok, I'm done rambling now.

Oh, wow~ You have one that's 13 years old and that is still not of flowering size! I applaud your patience. I would have given up long ago. lol

Then, again, it's your first orchid, so that makes it special.
I wish you a great outcome on that plant for such a long wait.

How long have you had your Greenhouse? last five years?

I really can't imagine keeping something that does not grow for 8 years!
I just threw away Ho Chi Minh that was not doing anything for one year. lol
I now have two that are very vigorous. :)

Another recent toss was rather a big disappointment since it is something rare, at least compared to HCM.
It's In Charm Handel x hangianum. It did not do anything but it also looked like it was not so well. I lost my patience and checked the roots. Well, there were not any. :( I had no choice but to discard.
Now I cannot replace that one. Oh, well...

I do have a bunch of roth x parvi/brachy hybrids and I intend to keep them around for as long as possible though. Some look like they are spiking, but will see. It will be a real test of my patience. :D

Ok, I'm done rambling now.

I only grew it in the house for a year or two. I then built my first glasshouse and put it in that. It just sat on the bottom bench taking up little space. You water it when you water everything else. Repot it every couple of years. When you have a large collection it just gets hidden away. You don't even think about it. One day you notice that it has actually grown.

It is the amazing thing about Paphs. Some of them won't grow, but then they hardly ever die. They will just look the same 10 years later. You are probably right to just throw them away and get something else. But I'm glad I didn't in this case. :)

Ok, so it is not because of the home growing environment that the plant was so very slow.

Yes, good thing you kept this one since it turned out so nicely.

Oh my...

Thanks for sharing.

I have a Janet Cross that is five years old and yet to bloom...another two to three if I'm lucky and four to five if I get impatiemt!

Back