Paph rothschildianum 'Western Springs' BM/CSA x 'Janet' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First flowering seedling. I'm pretty happy with this. A nice well proportioned chunky flower. I like the colour especially the dark red pouch.

This is the second clone I have flowered from this cross. You have seen the other clone a few times which first flowered in 2007. John Robertson told me this first clone was easily the most vigorous clone from the flask. It has flowered three times and is now a 6 growth plant. Compare that with this second clone which flowered for the first time 8 years later and is only a single growth. It is such an advantage to get the most vigorous clones. Having said all that I think the flowers on this slower growing clone are superior in quality.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32605

I've wondered who made this 'Western Springs' AM/CSA x 'Janet' FCC/AOC cross as it is quite common in Australia. Based on the awards I assumed it was in the US although the cross doesn't seem to be known there. I got access to OrchidWhiz and found out that roth 'Western Springs' was awarded to Papa Aroha Orchids from New Zealand in 1994 (I'm intrigued how an orchid from NZ can get an award from the Cymbidium Society of America). I also had a friend who purchased a division of roth 'Janet' from Papa Aroha Orchids. So it seems obvious the roth cross 'Western Springs' BM/CSA x 'Janet' FCC/AOS originated from NZ.

This is hardly cutting edge breeding. 'Janet' was the first roth to get an FCC award way back in 1969 and 'Western Springs' is hardly a house hold name. Still I'm happy with the result. The flower is a little small on this clone (21 cm NS; dorsal 4.6 cm wide) but the other clone increased 5 cm on the 2nd flowering so fingers crossed this clone does the same.

Paph rothschildianum 'Western Springs' BM/CSA x 'Janet' FCC/AOS

wonderful! despite all the advances today there will always be a place in my collection for the beautiful clones of the older breeding. these two are quite nice indeed.

Great photo!
I wouldn't have been waiting eight more years to see a second clone's flowering...

Great photo!
I wouldn't have been waiting eight more years to see a second clone's flowering...

I bought this plant from a different nursery a few years after I got the first clone. I think the first few years the culture wasn't great for this plant and progress was minimal. It has really picked up in recent years. I'd say it is more like 5 years behind. I hope it kicks on from here. It has no new lead growths which is concerning.

I bought this plant from a different nursery a few years after I got the first clone. I think the first few years the culture wasn't great for this plant and progress was minimal. It has really picked up in recent years. I'd say it is more like 5 years behind. I hope it kicks on from here. It has no new lead growths which is concerning.

I would cut the spike. If that is a small single growth plant you are going to stunt it more or even possibly kill it.

Latest posts

Back