• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph. rothschildianum "Val" FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperscout

Reaction score
Does anyone have a division of rothschildianum "Val" FCC/AOS for sale or trade?
Thanks
Slipperscout

Yes. What would you expect to pay for a single growth? $10,000 US ?

David

I wouldn't pay any where near that. The flower is inferior to a large, large number of roths. Others will say the value would supposedly be in the breeding. Cross it to anything other than MM and you are taking a huge risk and the cross will likely be garbage. MM is the proven breeder not Val. Even if you recreate the famed cross you will be behind the new generation of roths coming up right around the corner. Without MM, Val is a mediocre roth at best.

Yes. What would you expect to pay for a single growth? $10,000 US ?

David

Dont think so much....maybe half or less...is quite old(but still very good for breeding)...for that price I will buy many many crosses around the world and select my "Val" quality one.....Also I never seen for sale "Val" x self....
But I understand someone that want to have original division(i'm roth breeder).

I wouldn't pay any where near that. The flower is inferior to a large, large number of roths. Others will say the value would supposedly be in the breeding. Cross it to anything other than MM and you are taking a huge risk and the cross will likely be garbage. MM is the proven breeder not Val. Even if you recreate the famed cross you will be behind the new generation of roths coming up right around the corner. Without MM, Val is a mediocre roth at best.

I don't know much about roths, but aren't MM and Val both FCC's? Can there be 'inferior' FCCs? How old is Val compared to MM?

Yeah, that's what I thought. How about comparing 'Val' to any of the new HCC roths out there today. If 'Val' is inferior to them, them perhaps the judging system needs some re-tooling. Maybe AOS awards should be time-sensitive in a way that lets people know that the plant was awarded in a different time, and may not be up to the standard today.

there used to be a division of rothschildianum 'Val' listed on the Devalmont orchids site, if anyone remembers them. i am not sure they are still around.

It was for sale at the closing of Tonkin's Orchids for $25...the plant I heard is now dead...

I'm sure there's other divisions out there - it makes a nice addition to a collection of other historic roths...but grows slow as molasses....

im not sure of the stats on 'VAL', nor do i have a picture of it handy. but it is highly likely that an FCC from '84 (26 years ago) would get screened nowadays. the bar has been set HIGH for roths. look at frank smith's or OZ, all the ones out of taiwan...check out 'Simba' or 'New Horizon' FCC

Yeah, that's what I thought. How about comparing 'Val' to any of the new HCC roths out there today. If 'Val' is inferior to them, them perhaps the judging system needs some re-tooling. Maybe AOS awards should be time-sensitive in a way that lets people know that the plant was awarded in a different time, and may not be up to the standard today.

If you are in the market for such a plant, you should know how the selective hybridzing has changed the standard. There are countless other examples of similar huge advancements in species, for example Vanda coerulea which now has about 15 generations of "improvement". If you review the early awards for most species, they are inferior to modern examples.

Latest posts

Back