Paph rothschildianum (TC-5 x TN-Tiger)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely scorching gorgeous, David! I like it on all accounts! :p

And let me take the opportunity to wish you - and everybody here on STC: A Merry Christmas and A Happy and Floriferous New Year!

Kind regards,
Jens

Same to you Jen's. Lets hope 2021 is a better year. I was meant to go home for Christmas today but a breakout of covid in Sydney has meant we cannot travel there. So it won't be a family Christmas this year. Plenty in that boat I'm sure.

That is killer! IME it is so hard to find this quality from seed as an amateur grower.

That is going to do really big things! I too see some awards in your future!

That is killer! IME it is so hard to find this quality from seed as an amateur grower.

That is going to do really big things! I too see some awards in your future!

Thanks Justin. Yes, you need to flower a lot to get a good one. I have flowered eight, six of which were just average. One got an AM award and then this one. Interesting that my two good ones were not not from exceptional breeding with highly awarded parents.

You do it the right way. Get flasks of the best breeding and flower them all out. Takes a lot of time and space though. :)

Thrillingly magnificent. So beautifully grown, too. I wonder if any more of these are out there? Well done.

Thanks. I have one more seedling of this cross, but it has been very slow and won't flower for a while. I was speaking to the guy who imported these roths from the Taiwanese nursery and he said this particular crossed was giving much rounder dorsals than the other roth crosses he imported in.

Fabrice bought a whole flask of this cross and posted a couple of photos six years ago. Unfortunately Fabrice doesn't seem to post here anymore.

You’re right...they’re hard to come by...Sam Tsui has a bunch of Japanese breeding seedlings, good prices.

I have about 20 seedlings of those various TON crosses. Some of those should potentially be great. I would stick to the ones involving Giant Wings or Raptor.

Im looking forward to the "King Kong" progeny and Paph Paradise roths.

Which ones are the Paph Paradise roths?

The 'King Kong' x 'Humongous' roths are great growers. I dare say I might flower those before the 'Giant Wings' x 'Canadian Club' seedlings.

They look amazing crosses. The Graciano clone is wonderful and the Tempranillo clone with 7 flowers on a first flowering seedling is incredible.

If you are into dark roths, than I am not sure you could do better than that 'Paradise City' x 'Dark Angel' cross.

A bit out of my price range though. Can anyone comment on the quality of the flasks? Size, number of seedlings?

I have a Roth infatuation. I have bought a few over the last 4 years, and enjoy reading the musings, and stories here on ST!

It is a really fun obsession but.requires patience and dedication. Once you get enough mature plants in your pipeline it is great to see flowers every April.

It's sad that Aussies can't import plants into the continent except through flasks. This seriously delays the blooming times by 10 years to the rest of the world. I hope this can change in the future.

In the meantime, kudos to all you koalas for doing such a great job growing and expanding your collections.

It's sad that Aussies can't import plants into the continent except through flasks. This seriously delays the blooming times by 10 years to the rest of the world. I hope this can change in the future.

In the meantime, kudos to all you koalas for doing such a great job growing and expanding your collections.

Totally agree. And even with great quality parents it is still a numbers game to get exceptional clones from seed, at least for me as an amateur indoor grower. I have bloomed a couple dozen + roth seedlings and not a single one would get noticed. Also once you see a bunch bloom from the same cross you realize they are all going to be pretty much the same. I still hold out hope that one lucky FCC plant is sitting in those seedling trays.

It is frustrating. It also means that there is very little available to purchase. There aren't many nurseries here. I certainly can't go and purchase a FS roth or sanderianum if I wanted to. There are just no plants around. As a result what plants do turn up from time to time can sell for incredible prices.

It is possible to import large plants in from overseas. In fact, this roth was imported from Taiwan as a near flowering seedling. The problem is the plants have to sit in quarantine for three months where they are invariably fumigated with methyl bromide (even though they are exempt from because of their sensitivity). This spray does so much damage. A lot of plants won't survive and even if they do, they just sit their for years sulking. This particular roth I got in 2013 and it did nothing for many years, but all of a sudden took off. Most of the other roths I got at the same time either died or are still struggling. My experience is that it is not just worth importing in from overseas. It is expensive (the quarantine costs are exorbitant) and most plants will never survive to flowering. In the end it is cheaper and quicker to grow from flask or buy small seedlings that have been deflasked.

A few years ago, Sam Tsui shipped a whole lot of large Paphs into Australia. We were told they would not be spraying with methyl bromide. Alas one or two insects were found and they fumigated the whole collection at way over the recommended dosage. It was a complete disaster. Just about every plant was killed. I had ordered 10 plants (at a cost of about $1100) and I ended up with just one. It is just starting to come good. There were people who ordered a lot more than me. I would estimate that maybe $80,000 worth of plants were lost. Sam was incredibly generous and offered discounts for future flask orders for those affected. He didn't need to do that. Until they stop spraying with methyl bromide, I'm done with imported plants.

Latest posts

Back