Paph. rothschildianum T.L. X P.T.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked up awarded cultivars in Orchid Wiz, figuring they might be shorthand (‘Penn Valley’ was often documented as ‘PV’, for example), but found none that would work.

Does anyone know what initials T.L. and P.T. stand for in this cross?

It's a Taiwanese-bred roth. The initials are names of cities. I think PT might be Pingtun, not 100% sure.

I bloomed one about 10 years ago and the flower was pretty poor. I got rid of it. Of course this was just a sample of one, so hope yours will be better!

I believe PT stands for Pitou Orchids from Taiwan. They have a lot of roth clones with the clonal names 'PT1' and 'PT5'. I don't know about the other clone. I assume the breeding has been done by Pitou Orchids.

The two PT clones I am looking at seem pretty nice, especially the first one. I currently have a Taiwanese roth opening at the moment and it is very nice. So you never know. I have also recently seen a flower of the Tokyo Orchid Nursey cross 'Black eagle' x Giant Wings (which Sam Tsui sells for a premium) that is quite possibly the worst roth I have ever seen. I have 5 seedlings of this cross and I know many will be outstanding. But you can get dogs with good breeding too.

Last edited:
I believe PT stands for Pitou Orchids from Taiwan. They have a lot of roth clones with the clonal names 'PT1' and 'PT5'. I don't know about the other clone. I assume the breeding has been done by Pitou Orchids.

The two PT clones I am looking at seem pretty nice, especially the first one. I currently have a Taiwanese roth opening at the moment and it is very nice. So you never know. I have also recently seen a flower of the Tokyo Orchid Nursey cross 'Black eagle' x Giant Wings (which Sam Tsui sells for a premium) that is quite possibly the worst roth I have ever seen. I have 5 seedlings of this cross and I know many will be outstanding. But you can get dogs with good breeding too.

Yeah I would go with David here. :)

There was a roth cross 'PT1' x 'Butterfly' that got an AQ award. There were several awarded clones out of that and many other nice clones. One of the awarded clones had a dorsal that was 6.3 cm and a NS of 31 cm. I am not 100% sure that PT1 is the same clone used in your seedling but it is quite possible.

Latest posts

Back