Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Best' x 'Rex'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The flowers were quite big this time but I am not real fond of the drooping petals.

Sams%20best%20x%20rex%202020.jpg

Sams%20best%20x%20rex%202020%202.jpg

I had one that looked very similar, but not as good as yours.

Of three I had, I kept the one in my profile pic, which had broad segments. It just bloomed again after a long wait, but it was right after repotting and came out peloric. I could still see the quality was there. Maybe next time :)

In my eyes it's a very good one even if it has small deficits and therefore you are not completely satisfied. With its drooping petals it looks to me like a proud eagle.

The colour is awesome. But I understand about the dropping petals, its been overall a really nice blooming

David,
It's a nice classic clone...and the drooping petals do not bother me a iota (if I should quibble with something - and it would be a minor issue, it would be, that the sepals seem to furl a bit...I guess you guys and gals down under have had to struggle a bit with heat?).
I think the obsession in orchid judging with horizontal petals in Roths is a fad generated by probably AOS judges and japanese breeders in collusion...it certainly is one aesthetic ideal, but in my opinion definately not the only one!

David,
It's a nice classic clone...and the drooping petals do not bother me a iota (if I should quibble with something - and it would be a minor issue, it would be, that the sepals seem to furl a bit...I guess you guys and gals down under have had to struggle a bit with heat?).
I think the obsession in orchid judging with horizontal petals in Roths is a fad generated by probably AOS judges and japanese breeders in collusion...it certainly is one aesthetic ideal, but in my opinion definately not the only one!
AMEN.

David,

Thanks Jens. I agree that the biggest flaw with this flower is the dorsal. The furling is a bigger negative than the petal stance.

Latest posts

Back