Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Best' FCC/AOS x 'Rex' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First time I have managed to get two spikes on a roth. Not my best clone. More your old style of roth. But the flowers are pretty big, 29cm NS despite petals that droop quite a bit.

roths%20sams%20best%20x%20rex%202022.jpg

roths%20sams%20best%20x%20rex%202022%202.jpg

Gorgeous! I like this one quite a bit. Really great presentation. Leans heavily to the Sam's Best parent which I believe was Charles E. X Borneo.

I still grow one from this grex. Plant in my profile pic actually :)

Beautiful pouch color and flower arrangement! Congrats on getting two spikes, that’s no small feat!

Gorgeous! I like this one quite a bit. Really great presentation. Leans heavily to the Sam's Best parent which I believe was Charles E. X Borneo.

I still grow one from this grex. Plant in my profile pic actually :)

Thanks Justin. It is amazing when you are looking at your avatar, that they are from the same flask. Very different looking flowers. I wish the dorsal on mine looked like yours. The dorsal is the biggest flaw on my clone. Despite its imperfections, I am pretty happy with it this time. The flowers in the previous two flowerings were terrible. But they look much better this time.

Justin - do you have a link to a larger photo of yours or you could post it here if you don't?

I don't think I have the photo any longer, it was probably 4 computers ago ;)

I will say, I bloomed a total of three of this cross and they were all very different. Two had the old school Borneo look like yours, with long skinny petals. One had a dark red pouch, the other flower was all yellow gold. The third, the one in my profile, had much thicker segments.

This is the one I have kept, but the plant hasn't grown that great for me. It only tried to rebloom once or twice in all these years, and on the last one the spike was stunted. Oh well maybe one day :)

Great culture David. It seems you have it down pat. Are you growing it in a basket or a std pot?

Thanks Rick. It is in a 17 cm diameter basket. I find the roths do really well in the baskets. Once I get the seedlings into the 17 cm baskets, they really take off. This plant will need repotting into a larger basket.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back