Paph rothschildianum 'Mt Millais' FCC/RHS FCC/AOS GM/WOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! What a fabulous piece of history you have there! And what fun to share with all of us! I'm delighted to see the photos and would love to see more!
Congratulations! Take good care of it for all of us!

someday i hope to have the resources to acquire a division of this clone...but that is many years away.

Still the best one, even if this bloom is under its best for size!!

Many line breedings to come, for sure... ;-)

Well, I undestand why Mt Millais is an amazing plant

That pictured division had 2 seed capsules finally, the new growth is half mature, and it made another new growth.

The second division 1 old+1BS is going to bloom in a 5 L pot, at least 4 flowers with 3 more new growths started and massive leaves. It dries out the mix within a day, and made roots on the bench already...

The third division 1old+1BS will bloom in a few months, with 4 more new growths, 2 new growths on the old and two on the new one.

On average all make a leaf a month...

I have grown many roths, from the wild, from seed, divisions, but that's the first time I get something clumping all sides like that with big fat leaves - in fact the leaves here are now looking like the Eric Young plant at the WOC, very dark black green, very wide, very fat. Ll post photos when the second division blooms.

This time it will bloom at the same time as another very famous roth, and the Dou Fong will bloom at last this winter. Looks promising...

Sounds great Xavier. I guess with 3 different divisons of this One-of-a-Kind clone you're ready to share the love a round, right? 15K would put a lot of food on the table!

Cool! You can reserve me one div. please!:evil:

But first, it will be difficult to successfully communicate...

Honestly I want to have way more plants before selling any division... I intend to use it for breeding, as I have a couple other roths that can be paired, and Mt Millais as a pod parent gave much better result than as pollen parent

As a pollen parent, quite a bit of the progeny is excellent, as a pod parent, nearly all the seedlings are good, like Mt Millais x Nan Chou, Mt Millais x Val ( that gave most of the GM roths from the TON, the Val x Mt Millais being very good too, but with a lower percentage of excellent ones), the Lady Isable from the Eric Young (unsurpassed as of today, even if the stonei was low quality, but Mt Millais was the pod parent), the Gloria Naugle from EYOF and its crazy hybrid with vietnamense, etc...

About Tarentula, and the other awarded roths, they are amazing, BUT in fact they are improved Mt Millais, not really something 'brand new'. I found even the key to the improvement. Mt Millais has thin roots, and lighter color leaves. It can make flowers up to 34cm, petals 2.2cm ( that's what I got, so I imagine they can be wider on an older plant...), and a dorsal that is similar to most if not all modern FCC/GM roths. There are really few FCC roths if any that are superior in sizes IF Mt Millais is grown in rockwool (or orchiata, but with very careful feeding...).

When bred with Val, it makes seedlings that have a kind of hybrid vigor. The root system, like for Tarentula, is stronger, leaves are darker green (similar to Val). They can grow traditionally to have flowers up to 30-32 cm. With meikakke and some other culture skills, the flowers can reach 38-40cm.

I think in rockwool such a plant can go over 45cm flowerspan. On the other side, I was interested in Tarentula and others GM roths for the 'prestige'.

Mt Millais is the plant behind all of that, Val or Rex are in fact not so good and not so nice, they were only growth boosters, and eventually correcting one very minor defect of Mt Millais ( the slightly pinched dorsal, but I like it...). In fact Rex washed out the color in most of its progeny...

For fun, the TON offered to me Rex 3 mature growths and starts for I think 2000USD if I remember correctly...

When using Dou Fong, a vini roth, or a 40cm naturally flowered jungle roth (got two different, soon three...), as a pollen parent, the progeny will be superior, so I just have to be patient to get the next roth standard ( and maybe AQ hehe...).

I am doing as well a lot of primaries, there are quite a few seed caps on the way already, and the germination rate of the first ones is pretty impressive.

The selfing has been harvested and took two weeks to germinate. I will make tetraploids out of those only, to keep the EYOF tradition alive ( they did 4n counted roth, that were absolutely amazing..., selfings of Mt Millais).

Please contact me for the future generation of your roths.:D

But there's something I don't understand... The last time you talked to me about rockwool, you told me it was the worst mix to grow the genus paphiopedilum, because very difficult to master it. You told me also the deficencies (yellow leaves for example) were very common and the majority of paphiopedilum plants died in some months or years in rockwool.

So, when I read your last post, it's contradictory, no?

Maybe is it because you change your mind when you see the good results of a common friend (irony)...?

With meikakke and some other culture skills, the flowers can reach 38-40cm.

I think in rockwool such a plant can go over 45cm flowerspan. On the other side, I was interested in Tarentula and others GM roths for the 'prestige'.

Thanks for your very informative post Borat.

What is meikakke? I don't believe it is possible for a roth to grow to 40-cm NS, let alone 45-cm, unless meikakke is something that is highly radioactive :p

Latest posts

Back