Paph. rothschildianum 'King of Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Growing in a 6" net pot and hanging up with the Vandas. It's a small plant with 2 old leaves from a bloomed growth, 1 mature growth seen here in bloom and 1 new growth. It was repotted 3 months ago while in sheath. Then, the spike began to grow. So, I'm VERY happy with the results, even though it was disturbed so recently.

37246.jpg

37247.jpg

37248.jpg

Thanks! LOL....I live in a country village called "Carlisle". I've heard of Paph. roth being refered to as the King of Paphs; so, the clonal name seemed fitting.

Doh! Im a dumb@#$. So bessae 'Carlisle' is yours, too. The pennys are dropping.......

Bingo! I have named a few things after Carlisle. Yes, besseae 'Carlisle' is my plant.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "old school". It's a cross between these two clones: ‘Green Valley’ x ‘Fly Eagle’.

One thing I like about it is that the flowers are big; but the stem is not enormously tall and especially, the plant is VERY compact. It's growth habit is about 1/4 the size of the biggest roths out there.

Wow John, that's a roth I like! I'm not a big fan of the big plants but such a compact growing roth is great!

Thanks everyone.

Yes. It LOVES the basket. I water ever two or three days right now (dark, short days with daytime high temps at about 60*F). Sunny days get up to 80*F and I always water on those days. Being in a basket, it never gets overwatered. It loves the "tons of water and loads of air" combo. I've started growing my Paphs and Phrags a lot better since I started putting them into 6" baskets and just watering like a Gorilla.

Last edited:
That's interesting. Do you have a lot of air movement in the GH?

I'd say yes. The greenhouse is 30' wide, 48' long and 14' high. There is a high speed 18" circulator fan at the back, above the cross bar supports that blows air down an 18" plastic tube. There are two 4" holes (placed at 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock), every 4 feet down the length of the tube. This Paph is hanging near the tube, just off to the side a bit from one of the 4" outlet holes. So, it gets lots of air passing it, without the air blowing directly onto it.

Latest posts

Back